I live on the East Coast, so I think of summers as my reward for suffering through our infernal winters. All I want to do is BE OUTSIDE, even when it’s hot and humid and sticky! (Well, usually!) I’m not knocking a nice, air-conditioned workout in the gym, but there are so many fun ways to get moving outdoors and soak up all that vitamin D and sunny air. Of course, getting moving is good not just for your health and mental well-being, it’s good for your skin too!
According to celebrity personal trainer and member of the Simple Skincare Simple Advisory Board, Kacy Duke, “There is an important link between your physical wellbeing and the health of your skin.” Duke, who is among the world’s most sought-after personal trainers and fitness consultants, and one of the co-founders of Equinox Fitness Clubs, says:
“As we exercise, the body releases endorphins — natural painkillers — that promote an increased sense of wellbeing. Exercise increases blood flow and helps flush cellular debris out of our system. It also tones muscles and reduces stress, all of which contributes to the overall appearance of your skin.”
But exercise doesn’t have to equal a big gym workout. Anything that gets you moving is good for your whole body, and good for your skin. Here are 12 fresh, fun ideas for getting a move-on outdoors. Just make sure you stay hydrated, sun-blocked and smart about the heat!
1. Go for evening walks. I’m lucky enough to live close to a beautiful park AND to the town ice cream store. There’s something so magical about a walk in the warm night air, surrounded by fireflies, and followed by a stop for a scoop of ice cream or Italian ice.
2. Dance the night away. Check out your local listings for outdoor concerts and swing-dancing dance classes — often they’ll even be free, like Midsummer Night Swing in NYC.
3. Find an early morning, outdoor bootcamp. Summer is the perfect time to train yourself to get up and at ’em early in the day! It’s cooler but still bright enough that you won’t feel like it’s the middle of the night.
4. Explore the water. You don’t have to live near the ocean to take part in water sports — there’s kayaking, canoeing, and even row-boating to be had anywhere there’s a body of water. If you’re a total beginner, do some Googling and find a class near you!
5. Swim laps in the pool. Usually, I spend my town pool time in a lounge chair, with a hat on, a cool drink, and a novel firmly in hand, but I try to get in a few laps as well. Sometimes I even use of one those kick-board things.
6. Find a tennis buddy and make a standing date. Find an outdoor tennis court near you here! Or, really, find an ANY KIND OF EXERCISE buddy and make a standing date! You’ll probably be less likely to flake on someone else than you will on yourself.
7. Scout out a hike and plan a yummy picnic as a reward.
8. Sign up for a local 5K or other community event. There are probably a plethora of options for you around Labor Day — give yourself something to work toward!
9. Find an outdoor yoga class or take your at-home yoga workout into the backyard.
10. Two words: Hula. Hoop. Oh yes, I’m serious. Hula hooping burns as many calories per minute as step aerobics!
11. Speaking of playing, when’s the last time you went to play in the park? Get your legs pumping on the swings, and then do some walking or running! Better yet, find a park with those outdoor exercise thingies and have fun with a friend counting push-ups.
12. Bike ride! Summer! What’s better?
For even more motivation, get even more exercise tips from Simple Advisory Board fitness expert Kacy Duke over at the Simple YouTube page!
What’s your favorite way to get moving outdoors?
FTC Full Disclosure: April Daniels Hussar is BettyConfidential’s Editorial Director and is a brand ambassador for Simple® Skincare. The views and opinions in this post are her own; visit www.facebook.com/SimpleSkincare to share your story on sensitive skin.