Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new Christian Grey!
According to Variety, Jamie Dornan will fill in the Charlie Hunnam-shaped gap left in the film adaptation of 50 Shades of Grey. It looks like the recast won’t have cost them much production time, either; principle photography did get pushed back from its original start date of November 5, but only as far as November 13. The film is being directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson, and will costar Dakota Johnson as Anastasia Steele.
Does Jamie’s name sound familiar? (Or, y’know, do his rugged yet sensitive good looks seem familiar?) If you watch Once Upon a Time on ABC, you’ll probably recognize him as Sheriff Graham Humbert/the Huntsman. He uses a British accent on the show, which prompts the question, “How did the only Brit in town end up as the sheriff of this tiny American hamlet?”… but then again, given that Storybrooke, ME is populated by fairytale characters,
He also appeared as Axel von Fersen in Sophia Coppola’s Marie Antoinette—and if you haven’t seen BBC’s excellent crime drama The Fall, he’s WONDERFUL as family man by day, serial killer by night Paul Spector. Both The Fall and Once Upon a Time are on Netflix, by the way, so if you want to catch up on your required Jamie Dornan viewing, those are good places to start.
What else do you need to know about Jamie? Read on for all the deets!
1. He’s Irish. The 31-year-old actor was born in Holywood (no, not Hollywood!), County Down in Northern Ireland on May 1, 1982. His father is an obstetrician, although he also considered becoming an actor when he was younger. Jamie has two sisters, as well, of whom he’s fiercely protective. His mother sadly passed away from pancreatic cancer when he was 16.
2. He’s an old flame of Keira Knightley. Jamie and Keira met on the set of a photo shoot for UK-based luxury goods retailer Asprey in 2003. Afterwards, Keira introduced him to her agent; they also dated for two years. On that note…
3. …He’s a model, too. He’s got quite the impressive modeling resume, including campaigns for Calvin Klein alongside both Kate Moss and Eva Mendes, Dior, Armani, and Hugo Boss; he’s also appeared in fashion editorials for Vogue Paris and Esquire UK. His trademark technique is apparently “The Dornan Furrow.”
4. Oh, and he’s also a musician. He models, acts, AND plays music? HOT. Jamie performed in the folk band Sons of Jim until they disbanded in 2008. Take a listen to their song “Fairytale”:
5. Sorry, ladies; he’s married. Jamie tied the knot with actress/singer/songwriter Amelia Warner in April of 2013. They’re currently expecting their first child together.
Tell us: How do you feel about Jamie Dornan stepping into the shoes of Christian Grey?
Lucia Peters is BettyConfidential’s senior editor.