And for her next trick, Octavia Spencer will… turn into Angela Lansbury?
Deadline reports that NBC is planning a reboot of Angela’s classic television series Murder, She Wrote with Octavia in the lead—and with a twist. You won’t find any retired English teachers here; instead, the reboot will follow a hospital administrator and amateur sleuth who, after self-publishing her first mystery novel, ends up becoming an active participant in various crime investigations.
I don’t know about you, Bettys, but in my head, suddenly Murder, She Wrote has turned into House if House wrote murder mysteries.
While I’m not totally sure we actually NEED a reboot of Murder, She Wrote—let’s face it: The original was pretty much perfect—I kind of adore Octavia Spencer, so I’m kind of willing to roll with it for now. Since Murder, She Wrote was known for its use of famous guest stars, I’m kind of hoping that the reboot will have the same gimmick. Therefore, in the spirit of helpfulness, I have provided here a list of celebrities I’d like to see make an appearance on the new show, as well as the roles they should play. Call me, Hollywood—I’ve got plenty more where these came from!
1. One Direction as a boy band whose members keep getting killed off one by one in strange and mysterious “accidents.” The twist: One of them faked his own death in order to kick start a solo career under a new name.
2. Quvenzhane Wallis as an aspiring mystery writer trying to get Octavia to take her under her wing.
3. A Kardashian as a murder victim. Come on—you KNOW you want to see it as much as I do.
4. Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck as sweet-as-pie parents whose child is suffering from a mysterious, undiagnosable malady. Munchausen by proxy, or vicious attack from a family enemy?
5. Nathan Fillion as Richard Castle in a Murder, She Wrote/Castle crossover episode a la the original show’s crossover with Magnum, P.I.
6. Lady Gaga’s latest, most frightening piece of headgear as a sinister but ultimately misunderstood creature who may or may not be terrifying citizens as it stalks the streets at night (too sci-fi for a mystery show?).
7. Lindsay Lohan as a troubled starlet trying to make her big comeback, only to find herself being sabotaged at every turn (gee, what’s that like?).
8. Alexander Skarsgard as anyone as long as he takes his shirt off at least once.
9. Rebel Wilson as a sassy sidekick. Because let’s face it, Rebel and Octavia would make one heck of a double act!
10. Angela Lansbury. Just Angela Lansbury. As anyone. Because how awesome would that be?
Lucia Peters is BettyConfidential’s senior editor.
Photo Credit: StarTraks Photo