Everyone’s heard of the mystical powers of Spanish Fly, but what other wild and crazy aphrodisiac foods are out there? To get in the mood, would you drink cobra blood, or eat any number of animal penises? Frankly, it just seems easier to get some Viagra. But we thought we’d share some the shocking libido-boosters from all across the globe in case you change your mind.
1. Cobra: in parts of Asia, this deadly snake is harvested for its blood and meat, both touted for their romance-inducing qualities. The blood is sometimes mixed into alcoholic beverages, while the meat is consumed as a delicacy.
2. Fugu: when properly prepared, fugu, or blowfish, is said by the Japanese to produce a tingling in one’s cheeks and lips that, after it fades, increases sexual arousal. Of course, this is also one of the deadliest fish in the sea, which if not properly prepared by licensed chefs, can kill you. Somehow, it just doesn’t seem worth the risk.
3. Bird’s nest soup: this Asian delicacy is exactly what it sounds like. Soup made from a bird’s nest. The rare and difficult-to-procure nests are made from the saliva of the cave-dwelling Swift. Though that might sound less than appealing, people who have consumed this extremely expensive dish swear by its ability to get your motor running.
4. Maca: used as a powder, this root found in the Andes contains sterol, a steroid-like chemical guaranteed to boost your libido and make for a magical night.
5. Balut: another Asian delicacy, these fertilized duck eggs are served boiled in their own shells, and thought to act as an all-natural Viagra.
Check out the rest over at YourTango!
More from YourTango: