Hitting the road for Thanksgiving or the winter holidays this year? Whether you’re headed home to visit your family or to the Bahamas for a tropical vacation, you’ll need to get your packing under control, stat. But don’t worry—we’re here to do the heavy lifting so you don’t have to! From multi-tasking beauty picks to hot gadgets that will keep you connected while you’re on the road (or at sea, or in the air, or wherever), these seven travel essentials will make sure you’ve got everything you need without wasting valuable suitcase space. All aboard!
1. Remington Wet 2 Straight ceramic and titanium flat iron ($25.99, drugstore.com). I reviewed this baby a while back, and since then, it’s become the one thing I absolutely MUST pack whenever I go anywhere. Who wants to juggle both a hair dryer and a flat iron? No one, that’s who. I’m still kind of astonished that a flat iron can dry your hair while straightening it—and without it frying it, to boot—but it totally works.
2. Twobirds convertible jersey gown ($270, shop.nordstrom.com). Don’t own a convertible dress? Get one in your wardrobe, stat. They can be worn in loads of different styles to fit any occasion, making them the perfect travel dress. This jersey version from twobirds packs well, but this chiffon version from Jenny Yoo is a good choice, too.
3. NARS ‘The Multiple’ multi-purpose stick ($39, beauty.com). Hoorah for multi-tasking beauty goodies! NARS’ lightweight, cream-to-powder miracle stick can be worn on eyes, lips, and cheeks for all-over, blendable color. By all means pack an eye shadow quad or something, too (may we suggest Boots No7’s eye shadow quads?)—but for every day wear, this little tube can’t be beat.
4. Philosophy 3-in-1 shampoo, shower gel, and bubble bath ($16.50, shop.nordstrom.com). When you’re trying to save space in your luggage, multi-purpose beauty products are a godsend. Philosophy’s classic 3-in-1 works as shampoo, body wash, AND bubble bath, so you’re covered no matter which part of your body you need to clean. The cute recipes on each bottle and the delish scents are added bonuses; I’m fond of Cinnamon Buns, especially in the winter, but take your pick from everything from baked goods to fruity goodness.
5. Newtrent PowerPak external battery charger ($39.95, newtrent.com). I learned about this magical little device while I was running around New York Comic-Con in October, and believe you me, I really wished I’d had one then. Designed to work with iPhones, Android phones, and tablets of all kinds, it works as a portable power source—which means that if you get stuck at the airport with a rapidly failing battery and no power outlets in sight, you can easily whip it out, plug in your phone or tablet, and carry on. The best part? It can charge phones up to five times, so even if you’re stranded for hours on end, your electronic devices will never get totally drained.
6. Tieks by Gavrieli foldable flats ($265, tieks.com). Every gal needs a pair of foldable flats for those nights when your feet just can’t take being in heels any longer. These ones are a splurge, but unlike a lot of foldable flats, they actually have a cushioned instep; as a result, you don’t just feel like you’re walking around barefoot in them. I love the coppery look of the ‘Lovestruck’ pair, but you can choose your favorite from a whopping 50 colors and finishes.
7. Sonia Kashuk roll-up valet ($19.99, target.com). Gotta love Sonia Kashuk—between the gorgeous beauty goodies and the fabulous storage solutions, all at totally affordable price points, it’s one of our favorite brands here at BettyConfidential. The roll-up valet features four clear, zippered pockets that roll up into one handy little bundle, keeping all of your makeup and travel beauty supplies neat, organized, and easily stowed. Check out a full review of it here. Spoiler: Raves all round!