We’re still not totally over the fact that Jason Segel and Michelle Williams broke up in February, but hey, at least THEY’RE moving on! Michelle has been spotted out and about with artist Dustin Yellin, and Jason’s got a new main squeeze, too: Actress Bojana Novakovic. You’ve probably seen Bojana in films like Drag Me to Hell, Seven Pounds, and Edge of Darkness, but she may otherwise be something of a mystery. We can help! Here are five things to know about the blonde beauty:
1. She’s Serbian Australian. Bojana was born in Belgrade, Yugoslavia (now Serbia) on November 17, 1981. She moved to Australia when she was seven. She attended the MacDonald College of the Performing Arts and earned her BA from Australia’s National Institute of Dramatic Art (NIDA) in 2002; in addition to acting, she also works as a Serbian translator for theatre and film.
2. Acting runs in the family. Bojana has a younger sister, Valentina, who’s also an actress; she plays Natasha Williams in the Australian soap opera Neighbors.
3. She runs her own theatre company. Along with Tanya Goldberg, Bojana is the co-artistic director of Ride On Theatre. Called one of Australia’s “most exciting companies on the independent theatre scene” by Cameron Woodhead of The Age, Ride On Theatre is a platform for inquiry, daring, and play. “We come together to create experiences that get us deep inside things: ideas, texts, theatres, homes, venues, questions, people,” the company writes in its mission statement. “We surprise ourselves and others with what we make, from old material to new, researched, or invented, together and with you.”
4. She writes and directs, too. Talk about a triple threat! In 2008, Bojana translated, adapted, and directed a play called Fake Porno which, she’s said, “deals with this underclass of Belgrade sleaze that has crept up since the civil war; petty criminals and wannabe gangsters and Americanised Barbie doll girls.” She has also seen great success with The Story of Mary MacLane by Herself, based on the writings of the early 20th century self-proclaimed genius and recluse from Butte, Montana, Mary MacLane. Bojana wrote the piece with musician Tim Rogers; it was directed by Tanya Goldberg.
5. You’ll be able to catch her on the small screen this fall. Bojana is starring alongside Greg Kinnear and fellow Aussie Miranda Otto in Fox’s new series Rake. The show follows Keegan Deene, a criminal defense lawyer who is slowly self-destructing—and taking down everyone around him along with it. It’s based off of the Australian show of the same name; it sounds kind of like the lawyer version of House. Fun!
Lucia Peters is BettyConfidential’s senior editor.