As Aria Montgomery (a.k.a. Rosewood’s resident “weird girl”) on Pretty Little Liars, Lucy Hale sports quirky styles that fans around the world have adored –and added to their own wardrobes! But the 24-year-old actress behind one-fourth of PLL’s main crew has an enviable fashion sense of her own. When she’s not starring in Bongo ads or serving as the face of Avon’s mark, she’s making a splash in the world of street style with her fabulous ensembles. We did a little digging to bring you 10 fast facts about Lucy’s lovely style, because who wouldn’t want to look like an “A”-lister (pun intended)?
1. If you’re drooling over the designer duds on Shopstyle while your pals are obsessing over Candy Crush Saga, you’d probably find a partner in shopping crime in Lucy. She told Teen Vogue, “I could talk about online shopping all day—I’m always on Etsy, Freepeople.com, and Shopstyle.” This gal has great taste, if we do say so ourselves.
2. Lucy picked up a thing or two about designers from PLL costume designer Mandi Line. Among the starlet’s favorites? Marc Jacobs, Dior, and Chanel. Swoon!
3. Despite looking ah-may-zing now, Lucy has made her share of style mistakes. Among her list of most memorable faux paus, she recalls wearing snow leopard pants in fifth grade. Hey, it could have been worse (velour tracksuits with Crocs, anyone?)!
4. Aria might be a risk-taker when it comes to personal style, but it took Lucy years to develop the fashion sense we know, love, and desperately want to steal. She told Seventeen, “When I was 17, I was very plain, I didn’t take risks at all. And now I have fun with what I wear, so I’m more adventurous.” Keep those outfits coming, Lucy!
5. Her list of style icons includes Kate Moss, Sienna Miller, Miley Cyrus, and Vanessa Hudgens. Hard to argue with those, no?
6. The progressively daring Lucy’s style motto has become, “If it’s cute, I’ll buy it.” She explained to FabSugar, “It doesn’t necessarily have to be my style…I will try anything once. It may work, it may not.” And when you’re living on a Hollywood-sized paycheck, you can totally afford to test the style waters!
7. Lucy’s go-to outfit is effortlessly chic and totally on-trend. She told Who What Wear that it consists of “ankle-length skinny jeans, nude heels, an oversized flowy girly top, and a little black blazer that’s fitted in the arms and at the waist.” Can you say perfect?
8. As for favorite wardrobe pieces, Lucy has two: a vintage black lace strapless dress and her Steve Madden motorcycle boots. We’d like to see her wear them…at the same time (you’re also imagining how awesome they would look together, right?)!
9. Sometimes, the best pieces aren’t the ones you drop half a paycheck on at Tiffany’s, but the ones you DIY. Lucy told Glitter magazine that she loves to get crafty with her baubles. “I bead my own bracelets all the time and have even worn some of my stuff on the show before,” she said.
10. Though Lucy and Aria probably wouldn’t swap wardrobes, Lucy still sees her PLL character as a role model for girls. She said in an interview, “Aria’s very different and quirky. She’s a little bit more out there than I am. I’m definitely more girly and I like to get dressed up and I like Aria because she does whatever she wants. She doesn’t care what other people think and I think that’s great for girls to see – that she’s not out there trying to impress anyone, she’s just being herself and that’s really cool.”
Get Lucy’s Look:
Rock ‘n’ Rose daisy floral garland head band ($40.73, us.asos.com), Michael Stars stripe scarf ($38, shop.nordstrom.com), Guatemala City crossbody ($78, hearts.com), Neutral stones bracelet ($22, shopsosie.com), Sheer abstract maxi skirt ($13.50, forever21.com), Black faux leather strappy sandals ($19.99, amiclubwear.com), Simply Vera Vera Wang floral chiffon blouse ($24, kohls.com).
Diana Denza is BettyConfidential’s contributing editor.