Rising star Shailene Woodley has held acclaimed leading roles in The Descendants and The Secret Life of the American Teenager. And with futuristic dystopian flick Divergent (which she helms) out next year, Shailene is poised to become a household name –watch out Jennifer Lawrence! As much as we admire her rare acting abilities, dedication to environmental causes, and girl-next-door personality, there’s one thing we can’t quite get enough of: her style! The 21-year-old admits to not caring much for designer labels or shopping, yet somehow always manages to pull off the casual-cool look. We dug around to bring you 10 quick facts about Shailene’s style, because the rest of us have to try hard to look like we don’t care.
1. In a May 2010 interview with Seventeen, the starlet expressed her desire for a casual, no-frills lifestyle. She said, “I want to wear sweats and learn how to cook dinners and that kind of thing.” Your high-maintenance pals might argue that wearing sweats mean you’ve given up, but who wouldn’t want to veg out with Shailene?
2. Deeming herself a “Plain Jane” –at least when footwear is concerned—Shailene has proclaimed that she prefers simple red or black heels to the trendier shoe options on the market.
3. Don’t expect this girl to hit the town in a scandalous, barely-there getup. She professes to prefer curve-hugging turtlenecks to too much boobage. “I’m more into being classy sexy versus apparent sexy,” she said.
4. In an interview with Asos magazine last year, Shailene credited her friends for many of her cool duds. “Most of my clothes come through friends – this cardigan is two years old and these jeans are my friend’s boyfriend’s,” she said.
5. Though she’s been known to rock playful floral frocks and elegant gowns on the red carpet, Shailene considers herself anything but a girly girl. She told Malibu magazine, “I never wear dresses. I’m always in either long, baggy skirts that I can still do ‘crisscross applesauce’ in, or blue jeans.”
6. Despite her often impressive paparazzi shots, Shailene tends not to concern herself with labels. “In my personal life I only buy used clothes for environmental reasons, so whatever I can find in thrift stores I’ll wear,” she told InStyle. “I really don’t know designers for anything. I don’t know the difference between this big designer and this small designer or this other big designer.”
7. She also thinks Hawaiian shirts are really, really cool.
8. Among Shailene’s style icons are Emma Watson, Rachel Bilson, and Pocahontas. Yep, you read that last name right.
9. Two of Shailene’s go-to beauty picks? CoverGirl LashBlast mascara and Chapstick.
10. So we all know that Shailene has impossibly gorgeous skin. And while we don’t have the luxury of an on-set hair and makeup team, we can still rub our way to glowing, moisturized skin. The actress recommends using extra-virgin coconut oil in lieu of your usual body moisturizer. “Not only is it all-natural, but I don’t have to wear a fragrance, because I smell like a yummy macaroon!” she told Teen Vogue. Sweet!
Steal Shailene’s Style:
Smith boyfriend pocket tee ($48, rebeccaminkoff.com), Bailey 3 ½ short ($24.90, delias.com), Fossil perforated leather belt ($34, shop.nordstrom.com), Frye wrap cuff ($38, zappos.com), Liz & Co.Kelly lace-up booties ($30, jcpenney.com).
Diana Denza is BettyConfidential’s contributing editor.