It’s no secret that we really, REALLY wish Jennifer Lawrence was our best friend—and we’re not alone, either. So, in honor of her 23rd birthday today, here are 23 things we love about the Oscar winner, Hunger Games star, and all-round fabulous gal. Happy birthday, Jennifer!
1. Her views on body image. In an interview with Glamour in 2012, talk naturally turned to how she got in shape for The Hunger Games (which was just about the hit cinemas at the time)—and she dropped my absolute favorite sound byte from any celebrity ever on the subject of diet, exercise, and body image. “I don’t diet,” she said. “I do exercise! But I don’t diet. You can’t work when you’re hungry, you know?”
2. She’s a fantastic role model. Not unrelated to the previous point, here’s what she had to say about the criticisms that she didn’t look emaciated enough to play Katniss Everdeen: “I don’t want little girls to be like, ‘Oh, I want to look like Katniss, so I’m going to skip dinner.’ That’s something that I was really conscious of during training, when you’re trying to get your body to look exactly right. I was trying to get my body to look fit and strong, not thin and underfed.” Zing!
3. She’s not afraid to look goofy. And indeed, she’s often at her best when she’s looking goofy.
4. Her Oscars acceptance speech.
5. She still gets starstruck. Remember when her post-Oscars chat George Stephanopolous got interview-bombed by Jack Nicholson? Classic. Her reaction’s at the 35-second mark here, and everything that follows is pure gold.