If you haven’t been living under a rock, you already know that The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones is slated to hit theaters next month. Our girl Lily Collins, along with an impossibly-good-looking cast, will be stabbing, biting, and whipping their way across demon-infested New York City.
And just in case you really have been living under a rock, these Shadowhunters don’t mess around when it comes to personal style. Enter “Parallel Worlds” by NYX Cosmetics ($24.99, ulta.com). Inspired by The Mortal Instruments, the boxed set includes a smokey shadow palette, soft matte lip cream, boudoir mascara, powder blush, studio liquid liner, and jumbo eye pencil. Also included is a helpful booklet with steps on how to achieve a day look inspired by leading lady Clary Fray and a night look inspired by the gorgeous Isabelle Lightwood.
On my first attempt, I created Clary’s soft, subtle look on my own face. Here’s how you can do it for yourselves:
1. Blend your cashmere-colored jumbo eye pencil onto both lids.
2. Swipe the shimmery beige shade from the smokey palette across lids. For a touch of daring (that’s still work appropriate), dip your brush into the blue then white shadows and blend into your outer V’s. Optional: Dip the tip of the brush into the blue shadow again and line your bottom lash lines. I opted for this instead of eyeliner, which takes me forever to apply correctly.
3. Apply mascara to top and bottom lashes.
4. Complete the look with a light swipe of the hot pink blush on each cheek and a touch of matte pink gloss. You’re ready to hit the mall, Shadowhunter. Hey, you never know when you’ll run into your “demon” ex-boyfriend. A girl’s gotta be prepared!
For a Saturday night going out look, I did the Isabelle, which turned out to look just as dark and alluring as I had hoped! Here’s how to swipe your way to sexy:
1. Again, you’ll start by blending your cashmere-colored jumbo eye pencil onto both lids.
2. Swipe the smokey palette’s purple shade across each entire lid. Apply the matte black to your outer V’s and lower lash lines.
3. Line your top and bottom lash lines (I only did my top) with liquid mascara, creating a cat eye wing. Coat top and bottom lashes with mascara.
4. Complete the look with a swipe of hot pink blush on each cheek and a double coating of matte pink gloss. Yowza!
For the price, this set is a major steal that you’ll find yourself using long after The Mortal Instruments hits theaters. The smokey eye palette is heavily-pigmented and long-lasting and the blush and gloss gave my face a stunning glow. Now who’s ready to kick some demon butt?
P.S.: Click here to find out how you can win a VIP trip for two to Los Angeles!
Diana Denza is BettyConfidential’s contributing editor.