Dynamite Dorm Room Décor Made Easy (AND for Under $1200!)

You can have a fab dorm room—or any other room—for less than $1200, all without leaving your home! Here’s how.

FABDORMROOM

I spend a lot of time making over homes on camera. It’s all very fast and furious and edited down to a five minute whirlwind of “drab to fab” miracles. I realize, though, that more often than not, viewers are totally missing the meat and potatoes on how to really do it themselves.  Additionally, I know most of you are not designers. You might not be able to look at something for a nano-second and know exactly where to buy it, in what size and how much it’ll cost you—but I do. And I can definitely help you out

As we near the fall season (how’d that happen?), many of us are thinking about a new space. Whether your college days are long gone or whether you’re just getting ready to leave home for the first time, September always has the underlying vibe of the “new school year”: It’s time to get back to business and have a fresh start. So whether you’re looking to have the most fabulous dorm room ever or just want a bangin’ new space somewhere in your house, I put one together for you for about $1200. Not bad, right?

To make it even easier I bought everything online from one website: Overstock.com. Remember them? Yeah, well, they’re kind of fabulous now. They have thousands and thousands of options from almost as many vendors, and they’re suitable for every budget. But I wanted to show you exactly how to do it, right down to the shopping list.  All you need to do is start with white bedding. I couldn’t have made it any easier. Here you go!

Shopping List:

- Hand-hooked Alexa Moroccan Trellis wool rug ($311, overstock.com). The pattern is chic, but still kind of rustic-feeling thanks to its hand-hooked wool—AND it can stand up to lots of wear and tear!

- Pink gradient square oversized gallery wrapped canvas ($127, overstock.com). This “artist unknown” gallery-wrapped canvas is L-A-R-G-E, so it’ll cover a lot of awkward, empty wall space. However, it’s also modern and has a way more grown up vibe than a lot of canvases out there in the same price range. Love the ombre look, too!

- Altra ‘Parsons’ white laptop/writing desk ($69, overstock.com). I actually have this same exact desk in my own home! Why? It’s the perfect size (39” W x 20” D) for when you don’t need a ginormous executive desk, it’s clean and modern in style, and hello, $69!! #nobrainer

- Powder coated steel arm chairs ($99 for a set of two, overstock.com). These 100 percent steel arm chairs will be with you for a long, LONG time! The perfect combo of vintage and modern, they’re sold in sets of two and have a scratch-resistant powder coat finish. When you get tired of them as is, they could easily be painted. High gloss red, anyone?

- Maya 6-arm ceramic chandelier ($78, overstock.com). I’m a sucker for vintage items, but sometimes I want exactly what I’m looking for! This 6-arm chandelier is hand-painted ceramic—and you won’t have to troll through a smelly thrift shop to score it. The delicate look adds a slightly feminine and classic touch that will play off the other modern pieces in the space perfectly. That’s a great deal at under eighty bucks.

- WallPops ‘Flirt’ stripe decal pack ($52, overstock.com). These chic pink stripe decals will give you a pop of design that’s really hard to do on your own. This set includes four adhesive stripes that are easily removable—perfect for anyone in a starter pad!

- Safavieh Treasures ‘Dermot’ silver/glass top accent table ($178, overstock.com). Everyone should have some faux bamboo in their home. It adds instant old school glamour. This accent table is sophisticated and cool with classic Chinoiserie faux bamboo in silver-leafed forged iron.

- Moroccan triple gourd one-light navy table lamps ($209 for a set of two, overstock.com). Graphic and stylish, these triple gourd lamps with a Moroccan pattern work well with everything else in the room.

- Jiti Pillows ‘Rebel’ yellow window pillow ($59, overstock.com). Add this as your primary accent pillow on white bedding and you’re all set.

You’re done and you’re fabulous!

courtney_cachet_new_headshotYou can catch celebrity designer and style expert Courtney Cachet’s design tips, gift guides and easy entertaining ideas on NBC and Better TV, where she dishes out all the latest in all things fab for your home and lifestyle! Keep up with her at courtneycachet.com.

follow BettyConfidential on... Pinterest

Read More About...
Related Articles...

20 thoughts on “Dynamite Dorm Room Décor Made Easy (AND for Under $1200!)

1. Natalie Diaz says:

The way you have stored the things at home has made it look specious. I really appreciate your storing sense to get the things organized. Really loved to read the article.

2. EPDM says:

Great I always love such posts thanks for sharing, :-)

3. RV Coatings says:

I haven't done with my shopping list yet but now going to prepare my own. Thanks for sharing such valuable info with us.

4. These are great deals, actually. The pieces are all lovely and the price are worth it. Thanks for sharing their costs. Great list!

5. yae min says:

Thanks for your great design and tips for my living room

6. Great photos you have shared. i like the white lamp. They are so cute.

7. I am stunned by how great are your ideas. Buying everything online would save mush a lot of time. I wish i could do something like that one day in my home. Thanks for sharing with us your wonderful experience.

8. Great ideas and wonderful post. Personally i feel the last photograph (two lamps) were the best. Very impressive decor ideas. Completely admirable..

9. Great blog post. It’s useful information. Hope to see more posts soon!

10. Mel Brandle says:

I believe all college students should invest in some quality pieces of furniture while they spend their time in University. When they graduate and move to wherever it is, it’s somewhat nostalgic to take out that first bookcase or writing desk where you studied for that major examination on and remember what it was like to be in college.

11. Justin says:

I love the way you have done it also all the things you have placed very well and I do agree with all the points you have chosen for the Dynamite Dorm Room decoration. There are many people have the best ideas for decorating at home and always provide a great design for the people who just buy a new home for their living and for their families. When I first made my home I use the best decoration that is more acceptable for my family and I love that decoration I choose for my home. thanks to have a great post with us and guiding us for the new ideas we did not try before.

12. Moses says:

Good innovative ideas always attract the people to come and buy from you and if you are innovative there are no chances for you to have less sales. I like your post and these ideas are great and have all the best decoration we need for selling the luxury homes.

13. Tiffany says:

The dynamite dorm room decor is a good idea that can help us in finding the best decoration for our home and the designs you have in the pictures are good to have in home decor. I always love the great ideas that can help me in decorating my home.

14. The colors, Color patterns and the designing styles you have used here are the perfect, more attractive and so innovative and I really like it. When you have all the best things in the home making and the hone decorations it provide you the best revenue you ever want to have in your business.

15. lokale says:

it's very expensive for me

16. Your Dynamite Dorm Room Décor are so lovely and have great innovative ideas in it. I really love to try the same in the home decoration for the clients that are interested in these patters and the designing because these designs are hard to find in the markets getting these from your post and make it according will be a great idea.

17. They have thousands and thousands of options from almost as many vendors, and they’re suitable for every budget.

18. This “artist unknown” gallery-wrapped canvas is L-A-R-G-E, so it’ll cover a lot of awkward, empty wall space.