Zooey Deschanel’s Geometric Tips:
Zooey D. is the queen of red carpet nail art, so it’s no surprise that she was sporting a neat-o geometric design on her tips. L’Oreal Paris Global Nail Artist Tom Bachik created the checkered pattern to contrast with the softness of the New Girl star’s soft, blue gown.
Here’s how to get the look:
1. Start by giving all ten of your nails a coat of L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche nail polish in I Will! ($5.99, drugstore.com), a pearly white shade.
2. Next, use a nail striper brush like the one included in Red Carpet Manicure’s Art Tools set ($11.99, drugstore.com) to draw a plus sign with L’Oreal Paris Colour Rich nail polish in After Hours ($5.00, drugstore.com) on each nail, dividing them all into four quarters.
3. Create the checkerboard pattern by filling in two opposing quarters on each nail with more After Hours polish, working in a reverse pattern from finger to finger—so, if you fill in the top left and bottom right quarter on your thumb, you’ll fill in the top right and bottom left quarter on your index finger, and so on and so forth.
4. Here’s a sneaky tip: To create the two dots on each nail, use the back of a makeup brush. For dots on a black background, use I Will!; for dots on a white background, use After Hours.
5. Give it all a top coat to protect it and you’re good to go!