The Tipping List
5 Tips for Your Best Summer Hair EVER
The King of Color’s summer hair gospel!
-April Daniels Hussar
A heavenly experience… putting yourself (and your hair) into the oh-so-capable hands of Frank Friscione (aka The King of Color), Color Director at the superbly chic Oscar Blandi Salon in NYC. Never mind for a minute that Frank looks like the cuter, younger brother of Colin Farrell, or that he has a star following (and by stars I mean STARS: Kathryn Heigl, Renee Zellweger, Stephanie Seymour to name a few) and just concentrate on the fact that your hair never had it – and you never looked – so good. Seriously.
I was treated to this treat of all treats a few weeks ago – and ladies – if you live in NYC – run, don’t walk to CALL THE OSCAR BLANDI SALON (212-988-9404) and make yourself an appointment! After a couple of blissful hours being tended to by the charming and funny Frank and the incredible staff at the salon, my hair went from BLAH to BEAUTIFUL. He took one pitying look at my grown-out highlights, my limp, lifeless split-ends, and knew just what to do… starting with an expert application of oil-based highlighting potion, followed by a blissful hair wash and gloss treatment, and ending with the BEST blowout ever. I seriously expected people to ask me for my autograph as I pranced down the street afterwards… yes that’s how fabulous I looked. Alas, I’m no blow-out artist (hold your tongues) but my highlights have maintained gorgeously… such a great way to kick off the summer!
If however, you don’t happen to live in the Big Apple (or, you’re not in the market for the price-tag that comes along with The Best Colorist EVER)… don’t fret. Frank revealed to us his top 5 tips for giving your hair its most fabulous summer yet. Pay close attention – your gorgeous self in the mirror will thank you for it.
1. Blondes need to take “extra” care this summer. If you’re at the beach or hiking or doing anything (ahem) outdoors, be aware that your color will oxidize and you can lose tone. To maintain your highlights or blondeness, ONCE A WEEK, use an Oscar Blandi Gloss before you shampoo. This maintains shine and brightness and your color tone won’t fade away.
2. Did you know that FINE hair oxidizes more than coarse hair? Here’s a SUPER tip from Frank for ALL hair: Apply a dab of Neutrogena Oil Free SUNSCREEN in your hair. Yes, the stuff that you put on your face and body – use a bit ALONG WITH your hair styling products! In fact, when you’re applying your sunscreen on the beach – keep going and use whatever’s left over on your hands right through your hair.
3. WATER WATER everywhere! Before you go into the ocean or chlorinated pool, WET YOUR HAIR with FRESH WATER (like the outdoor shower water) FIRST. Saturating your hair with fresh water PRIOR to going into the ocean or pool PROTECTS your highlights from chlorine or whatever’s floating around in lake or ocean water.
4. FRANK SAYS: NOW is the time to “brighten up your highlights” * GO LIGHTER * GET A LIFT * GO blonder if you’re blonde; GO redder if brunette!
5. BUILD BABY BUILD. It’s VERY IMPORTANT to give yourself a protein treatment once a week (like this Marine Mud treatment during the spectacularly sunny summer months.