7 Beauty Rules for Gorgeous Skin
Taking care of your skin is easy and will make you happy every time you look in the mirror!
-April Daniels Hussar, sponsored by Simple Skincare
No matter what kind of skin you have, there are a few basic rules for ensuring that it’s healthy, happy and beautiful.
1. Know your skin. Skincare is about more than just your pretty face; it’s about knowing the skin all over your body, and making sure you take yourself to see a dermatologist not only for yearly skin checks, but if you ever spot something unusual, like a mole that looks new, or different. Skin cancer is on the rise among women.
2. Always wear sunscreen! I take this a step further and always wear a big floppy hat when I’m at the pool or the beach. This has three benefits: no sun on my face, my crazy just-out-of-the-pool hair is hidden, and it’s glam!
3. Take your makeup off at night. I’ll be honest: this is the rule I’ve broken the most in the past, even though I have sensitive skin and really should pay attention to this rule. However, I have been SO MUCH BETTER about it since I started using Simple Skincare products, such as the Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes. Seriously, I love them because they cleanse, refresh and nourish my skin. I might write them a love letter, that’s how much I love the way they clean-up general build-up of the day off my skin (mascara included), but still feel gentle and leave my face feeling supple and refreshed. SO. AWESOME.
4. Remember that what you eat affects skin. Some things beyond our control affect our skin (Hi, monthly nuisance!), but you can control what you put in your mouth. The foods that make your body happy — like fresh veggies and fruits and foods rich with omega 3s like salmon, avocado — also make your skin happy. The opposite is also true; too much sodium, grease or sugar shows up on your face. Also related: Stay hydrated!
5. Get exercise! Studies show that women who work out regularly have firmer skin that women who don’t. Exercise not only tones your muscles, but it gets oxygen-full blood flowing! Plus, of course, exercise helps relieve stress, and less stress = happier skin.
6. Keep it simple. Overuse of products is the biggest mistake people make in their skincare regimens, Jeanie Leddon, MD, PhD, a dermatologist in Boulder, Colo. tells WebMD. And the American Academy of Dermatology states, “Using too many products may irritate the skin, especially if you are using more than one anti-aging product. This often makes the signs of aging more noticeable.” Yikes! The basics are: a great cleanser, a moisturizer (I love Simple Vital Vitamin Day Cream with SPF 15), daily sunscreen and a product that contains retinol or retinoid to use at night. You might also like an eye cream, but too much beyond that and you’re probably overdoing it.
7. Use makeup to enhance, not hide. I love makeup, I truly do. From lipsticks to glosses to stains… and that’s just the lips! I wear at least a little bit of makeup just about every day — sometimes just a tinted moisturizer and some mascara, often times more that that. But the most important thing to remember when it comes to makeup, even though sometimes going full-on glamour girl is called for, as a general rule, it should bring out your own natural beauty.
FTC Full Disclosure: April Daniels Hussar is BettyConfidential’s Executive Editor and is a brand ambassador for Simple® Skincare. The views and opinions in this post are her own; visit www.facebook.com/SimpleSkincare to share your story on sensitive skin.