Summer is my favorite time of year — even though I’m not officially on summer vacation, I still feel like the living is just a lot easier. The longer days, the warm, sultry nights, taking my daughter to the town pool … I love all of it! But, with summertime can come many temptations that can wreak havoc on your skin, from cocktail-laden BBQs to all that sun exposure. So, here are some fun and glamourous ways to be kind to your skin this season:
1. Make your own ice pops! You can cut way back on the sugar, and whip up a frozen treat that’s packed instead with flavor and antioxidants, vitamins protein, and calcium! Check out these five yummy recipes for healthy, delish popsicles.
2. Wear a big, glamorous hat to the pool and the beach. Every time I wear my hat to the town pool, I get compliments on it. Every. Single. Time.
3. Snack on collagen-boosting foods like cucumbers; red, orange and dark green veggies; and scrumptious berries.
4. Get moving! Yeah, it’s hot, but it’s so much fun to be outdoors in the summer. Check out these 12 fun ideas for getting moving outdoors!
5. Invest in a fabulous, colorful umbrella to take to the beach with you. It is TOTALLY worth having to carry it!
6. Find some “me-time” to pamper yourself. Stress affects not only your emotional and mental well-being, but your skin’s health and, by extension, appearance. According to Simple Advisory Board member and psychiatrist Dr. Josie Howard, “Stress can make skin sensitive and reactive.” So, make a list right now of 5 ways you can pamper yourself, and commit some time on your calendar to doing them every week! (On the top of my list: the classic, life-saving mani-pedi; an afternoon nap; brunch with a good friend …)
7. Get a FAUX sun-kissed glow. I love the way my face looks when I’ve gotten a little bit of sun, but I do NOT love the idea of wrinkles, sun spots, and skin cancer. Ergo: fake it, don’t bake it! There are zillions of great bronzers and BB creams to give you a beautiful glow without the hazards of the sun. If you are going to spend some time in the sun, be sure you’re using a moisturizer with SPF. I like the Simple Protecting Light Moisturizer with SPF 15. A pretty, coral lipstick or gloss will enhance your sunny look.
FTC Full Disclosure: April Daniels Hussar is BettyConfidential’s Editorial Director and is a brand ambassador for Simple® Skincare. The views and opinions in this post are her own; visit www.facebook.com/SimpleSkincare to share your story on sensitive skin.