Betty on The News
Betty on The News: Top Stories
Debbie Rowe won’t be attending Jackson’s memorial. Plus: Jon & Kate reunite with the kids for July 4, speed eaters’ health risks and more
-The Betty Editors
1. Will she or won’t she? That seems to be the question ruling Debbie Rowe‘s life at the moment. Michael Jackson‘s ex-wife said last week that she would seek custody of the two children she had with the King of Pop, only to have her attorney tell reporters that she might change her mind.
This morning one of her business associates announced on Good Morning American that Ms. Rowe would be attending Michael’s memorial tomorrow at the Staples Center, with VIP tickets no less. Then this afternoon, her attorney said Debbie wouldn’t be making an appearance. “The onslaught of media attention has made it clear her attendance would be an unnecessary distraction to an event that should focus exclusively on Michael’s legacy,” her attorney, Marta Almli, says. “Debbie will continue to celebrate Michael’s memory privately.”
Meanwhile in other Michael Jackson news, mother Katherine‘s request to become executor of the music icon’s estate was shot down this morning, though she does still have temporary guardianship of Michael’s three kids. The original executors listed in the singer’s 2002 will, John McClain and John Branca, have been named special administrators of the estate until August 3, when both parties will return to court. In the wake of Michael’s June 25 death, Katherine was given authority over some of her son’s possessions, including items taken from his Neverland Ranch that were slated for auction, but not his finances. (People)
2. The Jackson family has announced the names of the participants in tomorrow’s memorial for Michael Jackson at the Staples Center in L.A. They include Jennifer Hudson, Mariah Carey, Kobe Bryant, John Mayer, Brooke Shields, Usher, Stevie Wonder, Lionel Richie, Smokey Robinson, Magic Johnson and Shaheen Jafargholi (a 12-year-old who memorably sang “Who’s Loving You” on Britain’s Got Talent). More than 1.6 million fans registered online for less than 9,000 pairs of tickets to the memorial service, and up to a million fans from all over the world are expected to descend on L.A. tomorrow in the hopes of getting into or close to the tribute. Meanwhile Michael’s brother Jermaine has revealed that a private family service will be held earlier on Tuesday at Forest Lawn Cemetery. Betty Confidential will be at the memorial service at the Staples Center. Check back here tomorrow for all the details.
3. Although they have filed divorce papers, Jon and Kate Gosselin pretended to be a happy family on July 4 when they reunited for a picnic with their eight kids. The estranged couple agreed to set aside their differences for the holiday and the family gathered at their home in Wernersville, Pa., to play volleyball and pick blueberries for a cake that Kate was baking. “I absolutely cannot imagine not spending every single holiday with my kids,” Kate told People magazine recently. “I don’t care what it takes. I will be there.” (People)
4. In news that comes as no surprise, competitive eaters-like Joey Chestnut, who won the Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog Eating Contest (by downing 68 wieners in 10 minutes)-face serious health risks from their overindulgence. “Despite its growing popularity, competitive speed eating is a potentially self-destructive form of behavior,” according to a piece published in the American Journal of Radiology. Potential health problems could include morbid obesity, nausea and vomiting and even the removal of part or all of the stomach. In a 2007 study of competitive eater Tim Janus, doctors found that, through training, he no longer felt full regardless of how much he ate. His stomach did not have muscle contractions, which move the food down the digestive tract. Instead, the hot dogs sat in his stomach and “protruded enough to create the distinct impression of a developing intrauterine pregnancy,” the doctors wrote. Ew! Please pass the Pepto. (CNN)
5. Attention Robert Pattinson: It’s time to man up! The Twilight star is reportedly terrified of the females who are following his every move in New York City while he shoots his new film Remember Me. “He’s overwhelmed by all the girls-they terrify him!” an insider told the New York Daily News. “He says girls grab his neck and clothing all of the time and he’s not used to that.” Robert apparently can’t understand why everyone is going crazy over him. Um, has he looked in a mirror? The poor precious thing even told an Australian magazine last month that he got teary-eyed while shooting New Moon in Italy because, “I [cry] when people are screaming at me.” (NY Daily News)