What’s for Dinner?
It’s your duty to eat one tonight
Whether it’s the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat you experience as the winner is announced tonight, these sweet treats will be sure winners.
Patriotic Cream Tart
• 10-ounce bag gingersnap cookies (about 30 cookies)
• 1 large banana, cut into thin slices
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
• 1 Large Egg white
• 9-inch round tart pan (with removable bottom)
• 1 cup Greek-style Yogurt
• ¼ cup powdered sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ½ cup fresh strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Place the cookies in a food processor and pulse until they resemble fine crumbs.
3. Add the egg white, then continue pulsing until the mixture resembles wet sand.
4. Transfer the mixture to a 9-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom. Use your fingers or the bottom of a flat drinking glass to press the crumbs evenly across the bottom of the pan and up the sides.
5. Bake for 12 minutes. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool, then place in the freezer for 5 minutes to chill.
6. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the yogurt, heavy cream and powdered sugar. Use an electric mixer to whisk until very thick and stiff peaks form, about 3 to 4 minutes.
7. Add the vanilla and whisk to combine.
8. Remove the tart shell from the freezer and use a silicone spatula to transfer the whipped yogurt into the center. Spread the yogurt evenly. Mound the blueberries in the center of the tart.
9. In a small bowl, gently toss the banana rounds with the lemon juice. Arrange the bananas in a ring around the blueberries. Then arrange the raspberries in a ring around the bananas.
10. Chill until served.
Patriotic Twinkie Pie
• 1 (6-ounce) package blueberry Jell-O
• 3 cups boiling water
• 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen blueberries
• 1 (6-ounce) package strawberry Jell-O
• 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen sliced strawberries in syrup
• 6 to 7 Twinkies, broken or torn into 1-inch pieces
• 2 (5.1-ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
• 6 cups milk
• 1 (12-ounce) container frozen nondairy whipped topping, thawed
1. In a bowl, combine the blueberry Jell-O and 1 1/2 cups of the boiling water and stir until dissolved.
2. Add the blueberries and stir until blended and slightly thickened. Allow to cool completely.
3. In another bowl, combine the strawberry Jell-O and remaining 1 1/2 cups boiling water and stir until dissolved.
4. Add the strawberries and stir until blended and slightly thickened. Allow to cool completely.
5. Place half of the Twinkie pieces in a 6-quart glass bowl or trifle dish.
6. In a separate bowl, combine the pudding mix and milk and stir according to the package instructions.
7. Spoon half of the pudding over the Twinkies.
8. Spoon the blueberry mixture over the pudding spreading evenly.
9. Top with the remaining Twinkie pieces.
10. Spoon the remaining pudding over the Twinkies, spreading evenly.
10. Spoon the strawberry mixture over the pudding, spreading evenly.
11. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight, until completely chilled and set.
12. Top with the whipped topping just before serving.