Your House Beautiful
Add fun and whimsy to any room
-Debbie Contardi, www.crazybdesign.com
Here are a few quick ways to put a little fun and whimsy in every room in your house.
1. Laundry Room. Decorate every room, even the laundry room. After all, you spend time there, so why not work in a colorful, fun space?
Buy whimsical fabric – like this animal print I call my cheetah chores – and create your own one-of-a-kind ironing board cover or buy one ready-made. Ironing will never be boring again. Carry the fabric theme into other touches, like we did here with a cheetah mop handle. Add flee market finds like this velvet covered vintage chair, cute lamp, and colorful rug.
You can even have fun with your laundry products! Large old-fashioned glass spice or cookie jars are a great way to store detergent, fabric softener and cloths pins.
2. “Bouquets” everywhere. A vase of flowers adds a lovely touch of color, but they are expensive and don’t last. Liven up any room by gathering a slew of pretty objects – feathers, colored pencils, hatpins – and set them in a vase.
In the kitchen show off colorful kitchen tools, like these bright spatulas, in a vintage vase.
3. Ladders. Funky flee market ladders are a great, economical way to bring color and character to any corner of the house. Use them to display bath towels or blankets, or put them in the guest room as a clothing hook.
4. Kitchen. Really spice things up in the kitchen with a unique apron, like this one made of faux mink. Go over the top and dress it up even more with vintage broach or two. Hey, you’re queen of the kitchen, right? Dress the part!
5. Think pink. Show your feminine side and accessorize your kitchen with feminine touches, like a pink rolling pin and other tools. Or use a glue gun to add pink rhinestones to the base of a blender or onto a stapler!
The key is to use your imagination and try new things. If they don’t work, you can always change them!