10 Tips From a Celeb Hair and Makeup Artist
An expert’s guide to the products no makeup bag should be without.
As a celebrity hair and makeup artist who’s worked with Lisa Marie Presley, Jenna Elfman, and the Pussycat Dolls, I am forever in search of those Holy Grail products that will make my star clients shine. Whether I’m working on a photo shoot, or getting someone ready for the red carpet, having the right products in my makeup bag for touch-ups is a must. I don‘t always have the luxury of a lighted makeup table and an outlet to plug in electric tools, so these products have to be portable and location-friendly. I’m sharing my top 10 must-haves that have never failed me and are guaranteed to work on the go. And the best news is that any girl will feel like a star with these in her bag!
1. Don’t have a curling iron on you to rev up drooping curls? Revitalize your style with Ouidad’s Botanical Boost Conditioning & Refreshing Spray ($16, ouidad.com). It eliminates frizz, adds shine and freshens hair without rewashing. Just spray a few pumps in your hair, scrunch, and twirl your curls.
2. Lots of flyaways dragging you down? Jonathan Product Silky Dirt Shine and Define Crème ($28, jonathanproduct.com) does the trick. This vegan wonder product not only smoothes long, straight hair, it also adds texture to short styles. Just rub a small amount in your palms, and then smooth over hair. Focus the product on the ends of short styles for added movement.
3. Never leave home without a few bobby pins and a bungee hair tie ($2.99 -$4.99, rickysnyc.com). You can easily create a sleek ponytail with the bungee tie or make a chic chignon by wrapping the ponytail around the base of the bungee tie and then securing the ends with a few bobby pins.
4. Banish away oily facial shine with Sephora’s Tricks of the Trade Mineral Touch Up Powder ($18, sephora.com). Sephora’s newest translucent pressed powder not only absorbs excess oil, it also minimizes the appearance of pores, fine lines and wrinkles. Lightly pat the included powder puff over shiny areas to evenly distribute the powder and avoid a cakey look.
5. If under-eye bags and blemishes are causing you stress, knock them out with Benefit’s Erase Paste ($26, benefitcosmetics.com). This amazing concealer hides dark circles, brightens skin and zaps zits in a snap. Simply scoop up a small amount on the enclosed spatula, and then dab product on troubled areas with your finger and blend.