10 Things Every Smart Betty Might Want to Know – from Top Dogs to Cold Noses
10 conversation starter info-bites to help you break the ice (in case you need our help).
-The Betty Editors
1. The 135th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show took place this week and the new hot dog is the Xoloitzcuintli. The what? Pronounced SHOW-low-eats-QUEENT-lee, this pup is described as looking like a hot water bottle with pig eyes, bat ears and a rat tail. Not exactly warm and fuzzy and definitely not found in the winner’s circle – the big time award went to Hickory, the Scottish deerhound!
2. Vaseline can protect your dog’s paws from snow and salt? Rub it into paw pads and you’ll never again have to chase the critter to put on four annoying booties. And if you want to make pupsters shine, add a bit of baby oil on their nails and nose.
3. And for those with four legged pal worship, here’s a serious App: MY DOG, a free download, allows you to create and share a personalized profile for your dog(s) with descriptions, vet-owner and emergency contact, vaccination history and schedules, plus current meds. MY DOG has a directory of over 30,000 service providers, vets and rescue organizations. (15% of net revenue is donated to various shelters so give a big woof to MY DOG).
Enough about dogs — did you know …
4. Iran banned Valentine’s Day? The state media announced legal action will be taken against those ignoring the ban on “symbols of hearts, half-hearts and red roses.” Like they don’t have bigger issues?
5. No more snoozing where you work says a DC ethics group cracking down on lawmakers who sleep in their offices rather than pay for a place to live. Evidently they’re not frat houses or dorms. Who knew?
6. Ever imagine having Cher’s closet from Clueless? Then the app Stylebook is for you! Upload photos of everything you own then tag and track when you wore something. With a couple of clicks you can make sure you’ll never wear the same outfit twice – like we ever do?
7. Orange is Spring fashion 2011’s color pick-me-up. (Think Sunkist and Vitamin C in your closet.)
8. Pre-Oscar night, here’s something to discuss. For anyone who loved the deliciously twisted movie Black Swan, imagine Mommy Dearest Joan Crawford in Natalie Portman’s role. She’d rise from the dead for the chance.
9. Tiger Woods was fined for spitting on the 12th green after missing a putt during the final round of the Dubai Desert Classic. Tiger has a reputation as a spitter. Yuck.
10. Two percent of Americans said they had a cold in January according to a Gallup poll and 3.1 percent said they had the flu. Chicken soup still being served.