8. P.D.A. Think back to the very first thing you learned in kindergarten: keep your hands to yourself! Of course, behind closed doors is a completely different story, but a girl doesn’t want a guy’s hand on her ass while she stands on line at the movies. Most of us gals daydream about being swept off our feet by Prince Charming, but a sloppy make-out session on the corner of a busy street is not what we had in mind. It’s awkward for all parties involved – including the old lady stuck behind us watching.
9. Acting “Too cool for school.” When a guy writes “I don’t read” under his Favorite Books section on Facebook, it doesn’t make us think he’s funny or cool. It makes him sound stupid, and girls like intelligent guys. We’d much rather hear about the film festival he went to last week, not about how he ran from the cops two years ago.
10. Cursing. Our virgin ears! Guys, save the four letter words for when you’re ready to say “love”— and save the f-bombs for the frat house.
11. Bad hygiene. We stuff our feet in stilettos and put on makeup to go out with them. The least guys can do is clean themselves up! (And no, dousing yourself with a bottle of Aqua de Gio is not considered showering.) Kissing us with onion breath is just not sexy, and neither is drawing blood with your long, jagged toenails while we hook up.
12. Driving with the seat reclined really far back. Cruising down the highway and naptime are definitely not the same thing – while he’s trying to look all macho and cool, we’re trying to figure out how he can see over the steering wheel.
13. Video games. We’re still in the dark over why guys derive so much pleasure from gluing their eyes to a TV screen and blowing up virtual villains with a controller. And why do they invite us over if they’re just going to ignore us and play Grand Theft Auto all night? We’d rather stay home and watch Gossip Girl.
14. Going too over-the-top. Hey, we’re all for creative first dates, but when a guy gets a bit too exotic with his restaurant choice or date idea the first time around, it makes it seem like he’s trying too hard. It’s not like we’ll dig him more if he takes us out for quail—chicken parm is just fine.
15. Grunting at the gym. It’s second nature for us gals to look over at a sexy guy, especially one with rippling biceps doing sets with heavy barbells at the gym. But seriously, what’s with the unnecessary grunting?! If we wanted to hear strange gorilla-like noises, we’d go to the zoo… or the Jersey Shore.
Tell us: What else do guys do that turns you off?
Brooke Sager is BettyConfidential’s editorial intern.