20 Holiday Gifts That Give Back for Everyone on Your List: Holiday 2011
Holiday splurging has never felt so good! Share the love in oh, so many ways.
Ladies, it’s only the beginning of December and our holiday lists are already jam packed with family, friends, and the neighbors down the block who bake us cookies every year. So, it can seem impossible to frantically shop for the perfect presents and get into the spirit of the season by giving back. But a little bit of holiday magic will make the most wonderful time of the year bright for you and yours…and more than a few others in need.
With these items, you’ll have plenty of time to enjoy the bright lights and carols. And you’ll help everyone from poor women in Kenya to factory workers in the United States-–not to mention a few furry friends. Get your gift wrap ready!
1. Fold and play recycled cardboard speakers ($19.29, ethicalocean.com). Perfect for the on-the-go college student or travel happy couple, these foldable speakers are totally eco-friendly. They don’t even require batteries to operate –these little guys use a slight percentage of your iPod’s juice to blast tunes. Plus, the product’s producers are also committed to bettering their workers’ lives. Helping the earth and others, too? Now, that’s music to our ears!
2. Three Dots watercolor silk scarves ($60, shopthreedots.com). Besides being luxuriously soft, 50 percent of the proceeds from these silk scarves will be donated to Saving America’s Mustangs, an organization dedicated to ending the cruel slaughter of endangered wild horses. We’re galloping to snag one of these!
3. Warm blanket ($84, rescue.org). Instead of getting your gal pal another makeup case or gift card, why not make a donation in her honor to families who have next to nothing? Your cash will purchase a thick, cozy blanket for a refugee family who would otherwise spend the winter months shivering in cold. Donors will receive a personalized card and a t-shirt (with orders of $75 or more) for their generous contributions. So, skip the mall and change a family’s life this season!
4. Barefoot trade bracelet ($15, acaciacreationsstore.com). For children in Kenya whose parents can barely afford basic necessities like food and clothing, education is a privilege that many young ones never have a chance to experience. With the purchase of just one bracelet, you can help buy three exercise books for impoverished Kenyan children. As an added bonus, each beaded piece is made by hand from recycled materials.
5. Holiday stove ornament ($40, paradigm.com). Think whipping up a holiday meal is hard? Many women in Kenya are forced to go out and collect scrap materials to prepare a simple dish! With your $40 donation, a poor woman will receive the stove she needs to feed her children and you’ll score a limited edition ornament to gift. Not only will a stove save 1,300 hours of time, but it will also reduce her family’s toxic smoke inhalation by 60 percent. We like what’s cooking here!
6. Toucan tee ($36, raintees.com). Did you know that more than 70 percent of the 11 million Toucans illegally smuggled from the Amazon die from brutally inhumane transit conditions every single year? Illustrated in Ecuador by child artist Rene Gillermo, this toucan tee is a fashion forward way to bring attention to their plight. On top of that, you’ll also be supporting fair labor, eco-friendly, and anti-animal cruelty practices. This is one cause we’d like to see take flight.
7. Jack Johnson black organic T-shirt ($24.99, musicares.com). Each of these stylish tees is completely organic and made in the USA. Your beau will look like a star in a hand drawn design by seasoned folk rock singer Jack Johnson. Part of the proceeds from T-shirt sales will go to MusiCares, an organization dedicated to providing emergency financial assistance, addiction recovery, and housing for musicians in need.
8. Holiday Treat pack ($25, thehonestkitchen.com). Pamper your pooch with hand-baked dog treats crafted only from ingredients of the best caliber. And here are a few other things to bark about: The Honest Kitchen never tests products on animals in laboratories, supports independent retailers, and avoids processed foods.
9. Pepper black jacket ($90, jedidiahusa.com). Has your BFF been complaining about a chilly office? Warm her up with this chic fleece button up while helping homeless youth stay out of the cold this winter. Proceeds from the sale of these jackets will go to StandUp For Kids, a nonprofit committed to rescuing kids left to fend for themselves on the streets of LA, Miami, and New York. We’re feeling warm and fuzzy already.
10. Feather bangle ($24, shopfuturestandard.com). Created right here in the USA, these adjustable feather charm bangles will add flair to any holiday outfit. Best of all, each bauble is designed from recycled metal purchased from local factories. Any excess materials are then sold back, virtually erasing waste! Shopping with a conscience has never been easier…or more stylish!
More fabulous gifts that give back including handmade toddler sweaters, photos of celebs and more up next.