20 Surprising Reasons Why You Eat
Do any of these excuses to stuff face sound familiar? Identifying them may help you beat them!
“Eat when you’re hungry, stop when you’re full.” This is my mother’s advice on dieting. I don’t know what sort of pre-historic, hunter-gatherer town she grew up in, but today, portion control is just not that simple. Yes, there was a time when overeating was simply a non-issue. A time when we had to load up on calories when we found food because we weren’t sure when food would come along again.
Humans evolved to love fatty, calorie-loaded meals. And unfortunately, while our access to food has drastically changed from the time we had to hunt all day, our affinity for the fattening hasn’t. Plus, we’re constantly coming up with new reasons to eat like there’s no tomorrow (or at least like there will be no food tomorrow). Here are twenty of those reasons:
1. To send those amazing pleasure signals to your brain.
2. Because you were given a birthday cake or candy for Valentine’s Day, and it would be rude not to.
3. Because it’s the only thing you can do to distract yourself while waiting for your boyfriend to answer your proposal… or to distract yourself from anything you’re anxious about.
4. To reward yourself for something. Sometimes, it’s for that hour long run you just went on. Hmmm…
5. Because you don’t have a dog to take the rest home to and there are starving children in third world countries.
6. To punish yourself. Pissed at yourself for blowing a job interview or a first date? What better punishment than to see your ass jiggle a little more tomorrow.
7. Because the damage has already been done. You ate two cupcakes? May as well eat the whole box now!
8. To procrastinate. The thought of finishing up that report suddenly makes you certain you are hungry. And you just can’t work on an empty stomach, right?