Said Duffy of Joie’s Fall 2013 collection, “The inspiration for me is really an independent, strong woman. The clothes are really a collection of stand-alone outfits, so it was important that the woman wearing the clothes portray the same feeling.” Accordingly, this look can be easily achieved on your own—without any extra hands around to help. Own it!
Here’s how to get the look:
1. First, saturate your hair from the roots to the mid-lengths with Oribe’s Volumista Mist Volume ($38, oribe.com) for volume. Then blow dry the product into your hair, lifting at the roots for volume around your entire head.
2. Spray your hairline with Superfine Hairspray ($29, oribe.com) while simultaneously combing your hair upwards towards the center of your head. The idea is to create a square shape in front reminiscent of a ‘50s quiff.
3. Take comb marks through the front and sides of your head with a wide-tooth comb. Then spray the front and sides of your hair with Maximista Thickening Spray ($28, oribe.com), using a blow dryer to diffuse the product into the hairline and set it into place.
4. Next, gather the rest of your hair together and tie it into a loose ponytail at the back. Twist the hair from the ponytail into a bun and secure it with pins.
5. Use your fingers to refine the look in the front; then spritz it with more Superfine Hairspray to keep everything in place.