6. She did, however, have the new girl experience in other ways: She studied abroad in England for five months as a high schooler. She draws on this experience for her “fish out of water” situations.
7. She only started pursuing acting seriously in her very late teens. Until then, she studied chemistry, performed as a member of her high school’s hip hop dance team, and captained the varsity soccer team.
8. Her original plan had been to go to college. She spent a semester at Goucher College, a liberal arts school near Baltimore, before transferring to the Stella Adler Studio of Acting in New York.
9. Jane got her first big break when she moved back to Los Angeles after two years in New York: She landed the role of Mandy Milkovich in a five episode arc on the Showtime series Shameless within just a few weeks of returning to the West Coast.
10. She landed Suburgatory through a happy accident. She had initially gone to ABC for a fifteen-minute meet-and-greet with some executives from the network; whenever she arrived, however, she discovered, “Whoever I was supposed to meet with couldn’t meet with me. There was some miscommunication.” She continued, “I was about to go home and someone said, ‘Why don’t you meet with this other woman?’ So I did. She saw I was wearing motorcycle boots and said, ‘Have you heard of this script called Suburgatory?’ I said ‘No,’ and she said, ‘Read it right now!’” A week later, she learned that the part was hers.
Above: Jane in ‘Shameless.’ Super different from Tessa, no?
Up next: Who she’s often compared to and more!