Jessica as Megan in Mad Men.
15. Jessica worked pretty steadily for years, but it wasn’t until her 2010 debut in Mad Men as Megan Calvet, later Draper, that she became a household name. She was, however, noted for her appearance in Hot Tub Time Machine—probably because she was topless.
16. Jessica was a longtime fan of Mad Men before getting cast as Megan She had seen every episode before appearing on it was even a possibility. “I think it’s a really great show and it’s very beautifully written,” she’s said of Mad Men. “It’s just a gift to be doing something like this with such an incredible cast and I couldn’t be a bigger fan of Matthew Weiner. I think he’s a genius, quite honestly.” We do, too!
17. Her thoughts on Megan? “It’s nice to do a role that doesn’t involve nudity and crying.” We agree.
18. Mad Men isn’t the first television show on which she’s had a regular role; she also played eventual First Lady Courtney Benedict on the WB show Jack & Bobby, alongside Logan Lerman.
19. Jessica didn’t perform the now-infamous “Zou Bisou Bisou” number at Don Draper’s season five birthday party live; she did, however, actually sing it herself. They shot the scene with her lip synching to a track she had recorded earlier.
20. Her rendition of “Zou Bisou Bisou” proved so popular that it’s now available for download as a single at the iTunes store. It’s also out in vinyl. Classy!
21. Jessica married producer and writer Joseph M. Smith in 2007…
22. …But they separated in 2010. Awww. She currently lives with two other actresses in Santa Monica, where, she says, “We do a lot of crafts. We drink wine and I play the ukulele.” Can we come over sometime?
23. Yes, Jessica has slightly oversized teeth—but no, it doesn’t bother her. “I don’t feel self-conscious at all about my teeth,” she’s said. “They’re great for eating food and they do their job. I don’t think they are remarkable until they are remarked upon.” Furthermore, she’s all for the jab they took at them in Mad Men—she thinks it gives Megan some important vulnerability. Take that, big teeth haters!
24. She suspects that the reason she’s so good with Don’s kids in Mad Men is because she grew up around a lot of kids. Her father has eight siblings(!), and they all have kids, too, so it was kind of like one big kid party growing up in her family.
25. Jessica had no idea Megan and Don would be getting married until she saw the script for this season of the show. Talk about a surprise!
We can’t wait to see what else this year has in store for Jessica!
Lucia Peters is BettyConfidential’s associate editor.