6. Her younger half-sister, Saerun Noren, is a photographer.
7. Noomi got bitten by the acting bug early: She was seven when she was cast in a nonspeaking role in the Icelandic film In the Shadow of the Raven. The experience convinced her that acting was what she wanted to do with her life.
8. She took judo lessons when she was 11. Somehow, this is not at all surprising.
9. When she was 15, she struck out on her own, leaving home—and her family—to attend drama school in Stockholm.
10. Noomi landed her first professional acting job at 16 in a soap opera called Tre Kronor. She played Lucinda Gonzales, a member of a girl gang called Las Chicas. The was pretty terrible—Noomi herself has said so—but hey, everyone’s got to start somewhere!
Above: Noomi in ‘Sherlock Holmes.’ Those blades look sharp!
Up next: How the actress transformed into Lisbeth Salander and more!