1. Quvenzhane Wallis was born in Houma, Louisiana on August 27, 2003. Houma is about 50 miles outside of New Orleans.
2. Her mother, Qulyndreia, is a teacher; her father, Venjie, is a truck driver.
3. She’s the youngest of four kids. She has two older brothers, Venjie Jr. and Vejon, who are 15 and 13 respectively, and an older sister, Qunyquekya, who is 19.
4. Her name has meaning: The first part—“Quven”—combines her parents’ first names, the second part—“zhane”—means “fairy” in Swahili.
5. For the curious, it’s pronounced “kwuh-VEN-zhuh-nay” (or “kwa van je nay,” if you’re not used to standard pronunciation notation).up
Up next: Her nickname and more!