11. What landed Quvenzhane the role? Her reading ability, her tremendous scream, and her ability to burp on command.
12. Of course, it probably also helps that she’s “just fascinating to watch,” according to Michael Gottwald, one of the film’s producters.
13. In fact, she impressed writer/director Benh Zeitln so much that once he found her, he actually rewrote the script to use more of her natural personality. Said Gottwald, “Hushpuppy became a lot more like Nazie after she was cast.”
14. Pink is her favorite color. Santa apparently brought her a pink electric scooter for Christmas. Can we have one, too?
15. Quvenzhane has been nominated for a whopping 27 awards for her work in Beasts of the Southern Wild.
Above: Quvenzhane and her ‘Beasts’ director, Benh Zeitlin.
Up next: Where her powerful scream came from and more!