16. Out of those 27 nominations, she’s won 13 of them. Not too shabby!
17. The key to getting this kind of performance out of a very young child? Make it a game. Director Benh Zeitlin told Deadline, “We tried to shelter her from the panic of a film set. We always tried to maintain energy on the set that a five-year-old would want to be a part of.”
18. Where did that powerful scream of hers come from? She told Roger Ebert that she’s been doing it since she was a little girl. Watching her older brothers play sports, she said, “I would always scream for my brother so the other team can lose. That’s not very girlie but it’s something that I know how to do and always did.” The practical application of outdoor voices!
19. She was honored her for her work in Beasts of the Southern Wild on November 14, 2012 with the key to her hometown, Houma, Louisiana.
20. How much of Hushpuppy was made up versus how much is pure Quvenzhane? Says the pint-sized actress, “[Hushpuppy] has animals and she likes to explore the world and have adventures that she can always complete. But she’s not really me because she doesn’t wear her pants pretty much and she has more animals, likes to explore more and she can complete it anytime she wants to.”
Above: The theatrical trailer for ‘Beasts of the Southern Wild.’
Up next: What’s in store for the future and more!