11. Saorise’s has a unique acting technique all her own. Noted Wright on the set of Atonement, “A lot of actors draw on their own emotional experience; in a way, they substitute their characters’ emotion for their own emotion, and vice versa, and there’s no right or wrong way of doing that. But Saoirse doesn’t.” He went on to explain, “She purely imagined what it would be like to be Briony Tallis, who is nothing like her. Saoirse has such empathy that she can feel and express the emotions of another human being. That’s an incredible talent to have; every day she would surprise me, and fill all of us with awe.” High praise, indeed!
12. Saoirse was nominated for a whopping 13 awards for Atonement, including the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, the BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, and the Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress.
13. She’s one of the youngest actresses ever to be nominated for the Best Supporting Actress Oscar.
14. Of those 13 nominations, she won three awards: The Irish Film & television Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, the Las Vegas Film Critics Society Award for Youth in Film, and the Phoenix Film Critics Society Award for Best Performance by a Youth in a Lead or Supporting Role. Not too shabby for a 12-year-old!
15. Saoirse supports the Irish Blue Cross, who reunited her with her dog, Sassie, after Sassie ran away. She said, “I am delighted to offer my support to the Irish Blue Cross as they care for so many need animals. The new clinic will be a huge asset to pet owners.” She continued, “When the Irish Blue Cross reunited me with my collie dog Sassie, I was overjoyed. They even microchipped her, so if she ever runs away again, she will be traceable. Their approach to responsible pet ownership is fantastic.” Awww!
Above: Saoirse’s breakout role, Briony Tallis in ‘Atonement.’
Up next: Which fantasy film series did she not make the cut for? And more!