25 Things About ‘The Bourne Legacy’ Star Jeremy Renner
From his secret past as a makeup artist to how he deals with nervousness, here’s everything you need to know about ‘The Bourney Legacy’s’ Jeremy Renner!
If you’re anything like us, you’ve been cheering Jeremy Renner on as he’s rocketed to stardom over the past few years. After years of running slightly under the radar, the actor exploded onto the scene in a big way with 2008’s The Hurt Locker, and it’s been nothing but big things ever since. In his next film, The Bourne Legacy (in cinemas this Friday! Hoorah!), he steps into Matt Damon’s shoes—not as Jason Bourne, but as Aaron Cross, another superspy tied up in the shady program known as Treadstone. Blockbuster? Um, yes!
But how much do you really know about Jeremy? Believe you me, he’s a fascinating guy. From how he copes with nervousness to his surprising alternate career paths, here’s a crash course in everything you need to know about him.
1. Jeremy Lee Renner was born in Modesto, CA on January 7, 1971. That makes him 41 years old (lookin’ good, Jeremy!).
2. His parents, Valerie and Lee, managed a bowling alley.
3. Jeremy is the oldest of five kids. His four younger siblings range in age from 38 years old to one year old.
4. He had a pygmy goat named Sugar when he was a kid. An unusual choice of pet, perhaps, but we can get behind it. Have you ever seen one? They’re ADORABLE.
5. Jeremy graduated high school in 1989 and went on to the Modesto Junior College to study—ready for this?—computer science. Then he took a drama class, and the rest, as they say…
6. His drama prof, Charline Freedman, remembers Jeremy as one of her two best acting students from her 12-year career. She told his hometown paper, the Modesto Bee, that he connected almost immediately with the Stanislavsky method—no small thing. “It’s a very difficult process,” Freedman said. “You work to find yourself and become the character, rather than just acting. Very quickly, once he got it and realized what I was asking for, that’s when I knew: ‘Uh-oh, we’ve got a real winner here.”
Jeremy in The Hurt Locker.
7. Jeremy’s feature film debut? The 1995 National Lampoon flick Senior Trip (he was 24 at the time). Illustrious? Not so much, but hey, everyone’s got to start somewhere!
8. He and his best friend, fellow actor Kristoffer Winters, began running a home renovation business early in Jeremy’s career—and they’re still running it now. According to Jeremy, it paid the rent when acting didn’t.
9. Jeremy is a man of many talents: Subjects he’s studied include but are not limited to world religion sociology, criminology, Filipino stick fighting, and Muay Thai martial arts.
10. In addition to an actor and a home renovator, he’s also brought home the bacon as a ski instructor and a makeup artist.
11. Of being a makeup artist, he’s remarked, “I could do makeup because I did theatre. I could paint and I could draw, so I’m like, ‘OK, I’ll do makeup on girls all day.’ It bought me a lot of free time to go audition when I needed to because I only had to work a few hours a week.” The best part? He never had to wait tables.
Up next: The one person who has ever made Jeremy get star struck, a showcase of his hidden talents, how he copes with nervousness, and more!