5 Winning Cocktails
Score the delicious recipes of the top 5 cocktails at this year’s BACARDI® Cruise Competition.
-Recipes courtesy of the fifth Bacardi® Cruise Competition
BettyConfidential’s food editor, Francine Segan, was recently asked to judge the fifth BACARDI® Cruise Competition held in Miami, Florida, where she helped choose the best cocktail recipes.
Every year, cruise and ferry line bartenders of legal drinking age are invited to compete in this event for cash scholarships and the distinction of being named BACARDI Bartender of the Year.
Below are the five category winners. The grand prize-winner will be announced later this month from among these finalists. Enjoy!
1. BACARDI® Rum Category Winner: Infinity
This combination truly reflects the current trend for incorporating egg whites to deliver a truly sumptuous mouth feel. The deep caramel and dried fruit notes of BACARDI 8 Year Old rum shine through and work harmoniously with the fig preserve (jam). The freshly pressed citrus and a lick of sugar make this cocktail a truly unique offering.
1 ¼ parts BACARDI® 8 Rum
1 part Earl Grey tea
1 part Fresh lemon juice
2 tsp Fig marmelade
1 tsp Egg white
1. Make a cup of strong Earl Grey tea and let it cool off.
2. Pour BACARDI® 8 Rum and all other ingredients into a shaker filled with ice. Shake and then pour over ice into a highball glass.
3. Garnish with a fig slice and a cinnamon stick.
2. BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® Gin Category Winner: Elderphire
Elderphire is a simple, classically-styled cocktail that can be made easily and quickly. BOMBAY SAPPHIRE marries well with the bright citrus and herb flavours to give a tangy and refreshing drink that is subtly complex yet simple enough for all to enjoy. The use of fresh citrus is important to this cocktail also, highlighting the Spanish Lemon Peel in BOMBAY SAPPHIRE.
1 ¼ parts BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® Gin
¼ part St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur
¼ part Sugar cane syrup
4 Lemon wedges
1. Squeeze juice from all lemon wedges into a shaker. Add ice, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® Gin and all remaining ingredients.
2. Shake well and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.
3. Signature Cocktail Category Winner: Berrini
The Berrini sports the wonderful fruit flavour of marionberries and the tart nature of raspberries found within BACARDI RAZZ. The addition of fresh strawberries and blackberry liqueur further envelope the berried nature of this drink. GREY GOOSE vodka lengthens and delivers a creamy, refined spirituous base to the mix.
1 ¼ parts GREY GOOSE® Vodka
1 ¼ parts BACARDI® RAZZ Flavoured Rum
¾ part Blackberry liqueur
¾ part Cranberry juice
½ part Strawberry puree
1. Pour GREY GOOSE® Vodka, BACARDI® RAZZ Flavoured Rum, and all other ingredients into a shaker with ice.
2. Shake well and strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a raspberry.