In Her Words
Crazy things I’ll do for my kids, again and again
We all make sacrifices for our children, but some of them are just nonsensical, out-of-the-norm, where we later ask ourselves, “Why on earth did I do that?” Here are some recent incidents where I’ve knocked myself on the head only later to realize, “That’s why I do these things – because I love them!”
1. Suffered through the movie Paul Blart: Mall Cop, when I would have rather gotten a babysitter and seen any one of the following: Shopoholic, He’s Just Not That Into You or Two Lovers (dying to see Joaquin Phoenix in his supposed last acting performance, which I hear is AMAZING! Say it ain’t so Joaquin!)
2. Paid $32.50 for ONE chicken nugget. Yep, it cost me that much for my 9-year-old daughter to eat a chicken nugget in front of her therapist. She won’t eat any normal kid food for me at home, but somehow, paying $65 for a half-hour session with a dietician to discuss her eating habits makes her really happy, and she manages to eat two nuggets in front of this woman she has met twice!
3. Tossed out a completely fine bowl of cereal because one kid touched it and the other kid didn’t want to eat it because it had cooties on it.
4. Threatened no American Idol if their rooms were not cleaned. When they didn’t clean them, I still begged them to watch with me while Tatiana cried and Nathanial was all dramatic. I just love the drama of that show, and it’s so much more fun watching it with the kiddos!
5. Removed a booger from my 7-year-old’s finger when he delivered it to me. And then praised him for bringing it to me instead stashing it under my pillowcase.
6. Took all three children to Subway for a “Five-dollar foot long” for the umpteenth time. Even though I was craving black bean soup in a bread bowl from Panera and some crusty French baguette. (Note: Picky eatin’ daughter orders a plain loaf of bread while there.)
7. Tucked them in every single night and thanked my lucky stars I’m a mom to three beautiful children I’d do anything for any time, any day of the week, no matter what I’d rather be doing!