My third pick is not considered a cocktail per say, but a trend that leads to a new way of experiencing spirit. “Tequila Flights” are made up of three different ½ oz. pours of 100% blue agave Blanco, Reposado, and Anejo tequilas. Traditionally, the flights are accompanied by a homemade Sangrita consisting of tomato juice, orange juice and spices. The idea is to enjoy the different types of tequila while sipping the Sangrita between each blend.
1/2 oz. shots of CAZADORES® Blanco, CAZADORES® Reposado and CAZADORES® Anejo
1/2 shooter of tomato juice
1/3 shooter of orange juice
squeeze of lime juice
dash of Tabasco sauce
dash of Worcester sauce
pinch of celery salt
pinch of seasoned salt
1. Rim a shooter glass with lime juice and then dip into seasoned salt.
2. Pour all of the ingredients (except tequilas) into the shooter glass mix well.
3. Serve sangrita shooter with the shots of tequila, and sip alternately as you taste each tequila.
The Tuscan Pear
I first tried this cocktail at the Mondrian Bar located in the Mondrian Hotel in Miami Beach, Florida; it was love at first glance. I’ve always been a stickler for presentation and believe that we use all of our senses when experiencing a cocktail. The Tuscan Pear cocktail reminded me of all our wonderful senses that are sometimes forgotten.
1 1/2 part GREY GOOSE® La Poire vodka
3/4 part limoncello
3/4 part ginger liqueur
1/2 part simple syrup
1 part freshly squeezed blood orange
a sprig of mint garnish
1. In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add all of the ingredients.
2. Shake vigorously, then strain into a rocks glass rimmed with sugar and filled with crushed ice. Garnish with mint leaves.
The Negroni was inspired in Hotel Baglioni’s bar, on the Arno River in Florence, Italy, in 1925, when Count Camillo Negroni decided that the Americano was too boring. The cocktail is considered an aperitif, so next time you’re out with a group of friends or having a meal with a loved one, be sure to order this. I guarantee that your taste buds will be intrigued and your appetite prepared.
1 part BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® or OXLEY GIN®
1 part sweet red vermouth
1 part compari
1. Stir into glass over ice. Stir, and serve.
For more creative cocktails, visit our Recipe File.