What’s for Dinner?
Baked Fish Fillets
1 small white onion, thinly sliced
1-1/2 pounds fish fillets, such as haddock, cod, or sole
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1 medium lemon (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white wine (optional)*
1 teaspoon paprika
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon dried oregano (preferably Greek rigani)
Fresh oregano sprigs for garnish
Lemon wedges for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Lightly coat a 9-x-13-inch baking pan with olive oil cooking spray.
2. Arrange the onion slices on the bottom of the pan. Place the fish on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, water, and wine (if using), and beat lightly with a fork. Pour this mixture over the fish, and sprinkle with paprika. Cover with sliced mushrooms, and sprinkle with oregano.
4. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 30 minutes, or until the fish easily flakes with a fork.
5. Transfer the fillets to a platter, garnish with fresh oregano sprigs and lemon wedges, and serve.