Banana Breakfast Coffee Cake
There’s no need for that scented candle – bake this coffee cake, and your house will smell warm and delicious all weekend.
-Courtesy of The Best of Relish Cookbook, relishmag.com
A brown sugar struesel with chopped walnuts adds richness and crunch to this tender banana cake.
Makes 10 Servings
Ingredients for Topping:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
Ingredients for Cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. To prepare topping, combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter in a food processor ; process until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in walnuts; set aside.
3. To prepare cake, combine flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through salt) in a medium bowl; set aside.
4. Place butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth, about 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar; beat until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add bananas and vanilla; beat until well blended. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to sugar mixture, mixing after each addition only until smooth. Pour batter into a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with topping.
5. Bake about 35 minutes, until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.