What’s for Dinner?
Beer Braised Short Ribs
The meat practically falls off the bone and into your mouth.This is a great dish to make when you have to be home anyway. It just sits in the oven for a few hours, you don’t have to bother with it.
6-8 pounds beef short ribs, about 18 ribs
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
16 garlic cloves smashed
2-inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
16 ounces beer
6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 cup hoisin sauce (available in the supermarket near the Asian foods)
1. Season the ribs generously with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large heavy pot with a lid (Dutch oven) over high heat. Brown the ribs on all sides, in batches if necessary.
2. Remove the ribs and pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the rendered fat.
3. Return the pot to the stove, lower the heat to medium and sauté the onions, garlic, and ginger for about 6 minutes. Add the ribs back to the pot along with the beer and vinegar.
4. Cover and simmer on low medium heat for 1 hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 355 degrees F.
6. Pour the hoisin sauce over the ribs and stir until well mixed. Put the pot to the oven, covered, and bake for 2 hours.
7. Skim off ALL fat from the top of the pot and serve.