What’s for Dinner?
Caribbean Style Crab and Tofu Cakes
-Recipe courtesy of House Foods America
Created by David DeGaeta, executive Chef of the Tribeca Rooftop
Did you know that April is National Soy Month? Here’s a delicious, easy-to-prepare recipe that celebrates tofu.
1 package (7oz) House Premium Tofu or Organic Tofu Firm
1 lb crab meat, drained
1 firm banana, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 shallot, minced
1 tsp grated ginger
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp bread crumbs
1 Tbsp Jamaican jerk seasoning
1 lime, zest and juice
1 large egg, beaten
3 Tbsp vegetable oil for sautéing
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp hot sauce
1. Wrap Tofu in paper towels and press to remove all excess water.
2. Crumble Tofu into crab meat and combine. Set aside.
3. Sauté bananas (plantains), peppers, shallot and ginger in 1 Tbsp oil over medium heat until soft.
4. Cool and combine gently with Tofu, crab, panko, jerk seasoning, lime zest and juice, and egg. Let rest for ½ hour in refrigerator.
5. Form mixture into 8 cakes and coat with flour, shake to remove excess flour.
6. Sauté cakes for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden crust forms.
7. Mix mayonnaise and hot sauce. Serve hot with spicy mayonnaise, if desired.