In the News
Remains are Caylee’s
One piece solved, but the biggest question may never be answered
-The Betty Editors
Today the news we all suspected, but didn’t want to hear was announced: The bones of a small girl found last week in the Orlando area, are in fact, those of Caylee Anthony.
“It is with regret that I’m here to inform you that the skeletal remains found December 11 are those of the missing toddler,” said Dr. Jan Garavaglia, the Orange County medical examiner.
Roy Kronk, the meter reader, who found the remains and called the department four months ago, directing them to the site three times, came forward Friday. Kronk is not a suspect in the case. The police are looking into whether his phone calls were properly followed up. Others, besides Kronk, had suspicions about the wooded area where the remains were found. Police said that flood waters had covered that area during previous investigations.
So after six long months, the search is over, and one piece of the horrific case is solved. The next step is to bring to justice her killer. Her mother, Casey Anthony, is charged with the crime and awaiting trial. If she is found guilty she could face a sentence of life in prison. Prosecutors said this month they would not ask for the death sentence.
But the question that never may be answered – at least to any satisfaction – is why. How could anyone commit such a crime? How could someone hurt a beautiful, innocent little girl? Caylee’s grandmother, Cindy Anthony, has defended her daughter and, up to this point, has maintaned that Caylee was still alive.
Unfortunately, Casey isn’t the only child to suffer such an injustice. As Orange County Sheriff Kevin Beary said. “I think there’s been an open wound in the community. No child should have to go through this, and we have far too many incidents like this across the country all the time.”