Celeb Gossip: Top Picks
Madonna’s showing her age, Kim Cattrall splits with her boyfriend, 30 Rock sweeps Emmy nominations and more
-Kathy Campbell and Carolyn French
1. Hey Madonna, you can work out till the cows come home and spend thousands on cosmetic surgery, but you can’t fight father time. The Material Mom seems to finally be showing her age. The 50-year-old mother of four was photographed in Italy on Tuesday evening in a sleeveless leopard-print gown, which is when the dreaded “bingo wings” were revealed. (Coincidentally Whitney Houston wore the same Dolce & Gabbana dress on the same night, but without the wings.) The disorder that affects both men and women as they grow older can be helped by doing bicep dips and curls, but there’s not a lot that can be done about skin that sags when you age. Having your very own boytoy can take 10 years off the soul, but it clearly doesn’t have the same effect on the body! (RadarOnline)
2. Five years is a long time to be in a relationship by Hollywood standards, and it sounds like Sex and the City star Kim Cattrall has had her fill. E! News has revealed that the actress/author has split from her much-younger boyfriend, Alan Wyse. While it may come as a surprise to some, Kim’s rep claims that the pair made the decision to part ways “a while ago.” Perhaps she’ll find a new love on the set of the upcoming Sex and the City sequel! (E! Online)
3. Amy Winehouse‘s rocky marriage to her “Blake incarcerated” came to an end today in London. A judge granted the couple’s divorce in a London courtroom, but neither Amy, 25, nor her husband, Blake Fielder-Civil, 27, were present. Court papers reveal that it was Blake who filed for divorce, citing Amy’s adultery (which she admitted to).
The couple were married for two years and spent most of that time battling drug addiction, engaging in fights that resulted in Amy cutting herself in self-mutilation and Blake winding up in prison. Is that a sigh of relief from her mom that we hear? (People)
4. Just when we thought we’d reached maximum saturation point on all things Edward and Bella, the publishers of the Twilight series have announced that they are releasing a comic book based on Stephenie Meyer‘s hit vampire tales.
The Korean illustrator of the comic book has based his renderings on the characters in the novel, which is why they don’t look much like Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson, but they are still cute in a manga kind of way. Entertainment Weekly reveals that Stephenie Meyer is reviewing every panel of the project. (Entertainment Weekly)
5. Robert Redford married his longtime partner, Sibylle Szaggars, in Germany over the weekend.
Thirty friends and family attended the wedding of the 72-year-old actor to the 51-year-old German artist. It took place at the Louis C. Jacob Hotel in Hamburg. (Omg!)
6. Nominations for the 61st Primetime Emmy Awards were announced this morning, with 30 Rock scoring the most accolades. Tina Fey and her side-splitting co-stars managed to surpass How I Met Your Mother, The Office, Weeds, Flight of the Conchords and Entourage in the Outstanding Comedy Series category, with 67 nominations, making NBC the most-nominated broadcaster for the first time in five years. This comes as quite a shock seeing as the sitcom hasn’t exactly been pulling in the viewers, despite the former Saturday Night Live star’s popularity.
Perhaps more surprising than 30 Rock‘s numerous nods is the snubbing of True Blood. The HBO series was a favorite at this year’s Golden Globes, but it failed to woo Emmy voters as both the show and its stars weren’t nominated.
The Emmys, hosted by Neil Patrick Harris, are set to air on CBS on Sunday, September 20. (Variety)