Celeb Gossip: Top Picks
Paula Abdul makes Idol threats, Nick Lachey ruins our reality show dreams, Jon Gosselin stayed single until divorce filing and more
-Kathy Campbell and Carolyn French
1. Less than two weeks after Paula Abdul happily proclaimed that she was staying with American Idol for “however long it lasts,” her manager told the Los Angeles Times that she may not return to the hit show for season nine.
Her manager, David Sonenberg, who began working with the “Forever Your Girl” singer at the end of June, says she hasn’t received a proposal for a new contract yet.
“She’s not a happy camper as a result of what’s going on. She’s hurt. She’s angry,” he said. “Very sadly, it does not appear that she’s going to be back on Idol.”
Sonenberg added that Paula is even considering a show that would compete with Idol. But before you reach for your Kara DioGuardi voodoo doll, let’s think about this for a minute. TMZ reports that Paula is making $2.5 million a year on the show, while host Ryan Seacrest just signed a contract for $15 million a year and Simon Cowell is rumored to be getting as much as $144 million. This sounds like a ploy for more money, which begs the question: How much do you think Paula’s teary, nonsensical ramblings on Idol are worth? (Los Angeles Times)
2. While former Newlyweds stars Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey have both found themselves suddenly single, Nick has told People magazine that they aren’t planning a reunion.
“I think it’s fun storytelling, but there’s very little truth to any of it,” the singer said on Saturday. “I certainly have heard about her breakup and I wish her the best, as I’ve always done. Aside from that, there really is nothing to say.”
Nick added that he hasn’t spoken to his ex-wife in “probably two years,” adding, “I wish her happiness. That’s where it pretty much ends.” The couple wed in 2002 and divorced three years later. (People)
3. As the hearing into the custody of Michael Jackson’s children has been postponed yet again, there is talk that the King of Pop‘s sister Janet would like to raise Prince, 12, Paris, 11, and Blanket, 7.
Inside Edition says that their aunty has bonded with the kids since their dad died on June 25 and according to the show’s Jim Moret, “She has said, ‘I’ll step forward and I will raise them if this is what they want.'”
The kids remain at their grandmother Katherine Jackson‘s home, but Michael’s ex-wife Debbie Rowe, who is Prince and Paris’ biological mom, has said she wants the kids. To further complicate things, in an interview last week with a British paper, LaToya Jackson claimed that Michael may have left another will that gave his older sister Rebbie with custody of the kids. She was recently seen taking them to a Jehovah’s Witness service. (CBS News)
4. Talk about hoof in mouth disease! That’s So Raven star Debbie Allen made an unfortunate choice of words when she talked to Us magazine about her newfound recognition with tweens now that she is starring on the Disney channel hit with Raven Symone.
“I was wondering how they knew me and then they say, ‘Do you know Raven?'” Debbie said. “I’m like, ‘Of course, I know that little heifer! I love that girl.'”
Raven has received a criticism over her not-a-size-zero frame in the past and earlier this year spoke with Seventeen magazine at a self-esteem workshop. The former Cosby Show star said she was “thick” ever since she was 9 and admitted she could have benefited from a similar workshop to cope with “that negative language.” (Us magazine)
5. In further proof of the old saying boys will be boys, BFFs Owen Wilson and Woody Harrelson couldn’t help indulging in a little rough-housing while on a trip together in Italy.
The pair were lying on an inflatable raft on the Mediterranean and just after they were seen giving each other a hug, the pair got into a tussle that led to them both falling into the water, where they continued their play fight.
The former Cheers star was later seen holding an icepack to his face. Don’t mess with the Butterscotch Stallion, Woody! (Daily Mail)
6. In a new twist to the Jon and Kate saga, an insider has stepped forward to say that the father of eight actually remained single until his wife filed for divorce on June 20. The source claims that Jon stayed with longtime friend Hailey Glassman – whose plastic surgeon dad Lawrence Glassman performed a tummy tuck on Kate Gosslin after the birth of her sextuplets – on May 4, as he was “totally heartbroken” and needed a little R&R. Supposedly nothing happened between the two acquaintances during his stay in New City, N.Y., though they did eventually hook up.
The source was quick to add that Jon and Kate had secretly split late last year unbeknownst to the public, because Kate said that she “wanted her life” which “came out of the blue.” Not long afterwards a distraught Jon decided to move out of the couple’s bedroom, finding solace in another spot within their home. Last spring paps caught Jon with 23-year-old teacher Deanna Hummel, though they weren’t having an affair, according to the source.
Jon eventually moved into the apartment above the Gosselin’s three-car garage, all the while hitting up clubs and bars. These days the former lovebirds only speak to one another about their children, and the source noted that those living in New York City should keep their eyes peeled for a Gosselin/Glassman sighting, as Jon has rented an apartment there. (People)