Chicken Cutlet Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Dressing
Tired of the same old chicken every night? Try this salad recipe for a fresh mixture of new flavors.
-Recipe courtesy of National Chicken Council, eatchicken.com
Makes 4 Servings
Ingredients for Chicken:
6 thin-sliced chicken cutlets (about 1 pound)
1/3 cup corn meal
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbls vegetable oil
Ingredients for Dressing:
6 tbls extra virgin olive oil
2 tbls balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup halved strawberries
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp roughly chopped fresh mint ?
Ingredients for Salad:
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 cups washed and dried Bibb lettuce
2 cups arugula
8 strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
1. In bowl of food processor or blender, combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, halved strawberries, salt, pepper, brown sugar and mint to make dressing. Blend until smooth. Pour half of dressing (about 1/3 cup) in ziplock bag. Add chicken cutlets, seal, refrigerate and marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
2. While chicken is marinating, toast pine nuts by placing in nonstick pan over medium heat. Reserve.
3. Heat oven to 200 F. In shallow bowl, combine corn meal, flour, salt and pepper. Place a nonstick sauté pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
4. Remove chicken from marinade, one piece at a time, place in corn meal mixture and turn to coat both sides of cutlet. Place first three pieces of coated chicken in sauté pan and cook for 3 – 4 minutes per side, until browned. Repeat with last three pieces of chicken. Remove chicken to plate and place in oven to keep warm.
5. In large bowl, combine lettuce, arugula, pine nuts and remaining one-half cup of dressing. Toss well. Add strawberries and goat cheese. Divide salad among four large plates. Top each with 2 pieces of warm chicken and serve.