Chicken Paillards with Pears
This delicious (and inexpensive) dinner dish will serve a hungry family of four.
-Recipe courtesy of National Chicken Council, eatchicken.com
At a cost of about $3.68 per serving, you can’t beat this hearty chicken dish. The creaminess of the sauce and the sweetness of the pears makes this a dinner item you’ll definitely want to make more than once.
Makes 4 Servings
2 pounds chicken breast cutlets (breasts sliced thin)
½ cup flour
2 tbls butter, divided
2 tbls olive oil, divided
1 cup sliced leeks (about one medium size leek)
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 can (14.5 oz) pear slices, drained
1 ½ cups chicken stock
¼ cup heavy cream
2 tsps fresh sage, chopped
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 250 F. In plastic bag with zipper top, place flour. Add chicken cutlets and toss well to coat.
2. In large sauté pan, place 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Warm over medium-high heat until butter is melted. Remove cutlets from bag, shake off excess flour and add to pan in batches to cook. Saute until browned on both sides, about 3 – 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken to oven-proof platter and keep warm in oven.
3. To same pan, add remaining butter and oil and warm over medium heat. Add sliced leeks, salt and pepper and sauté until caramelized, about 4 – 5 minutes.
4. Add pear slices to leeks and sauté about 4 minutes. Add chicken stock to pan, increase heat to high, bring to a boil and cook until stock is reduced by half, about 7 minutes. To stock add cream, 1 teaspoon sage and nutmeg and simmer until slightly thickened.
5. Serve chicken over hot rice with pears and sauce spooned over.
Also, try this Chicken Cutlet Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Dressing, or something else from our Recipe File.