What’s for Dinner?
Classic Grilled Pork Spareribs
-Recipe courtesy of the American Meat Institute, www.meatami.com
Yield: 4 entrée servings
These spareribs are finger-licking good with your own homemade dry rub and BBQ sauce. You’ll make this recipe again and again. The dry rub and BBQ sauce are also great with chicken!
4 to 5 pounds pork spareribs, trimmed of excess fat
1 Tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground mustard
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1-1/2 teaspoons each coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup apple juice or cider
1/3 cup ketchup
2 Tablespoons brown spicy mustard
1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1. Remove the thin membrane layer from the back of the ribs by pulling a corner of the membrane with a knife tip. Using your fingers and a knife edge, slowly pull away the membrane. Pat ribs dry with clean paper towels.
2. Mix Dry Rub ingredients together in a small cup. Rub over entire surface of ribs. Cover and refrigerate for 2+ hours.
3. Combine all BBQ Sauce ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir andgently simmer for 30 minutes or until slightly reduced. Remove from heat and allow flavors to blend while cooking ribs.
4. Prepare the grill for indirect grilling and preheat grill to medium heat (about 350ºF). If using a charcoal grill, place a drip pan in the center.
5. Place the ribs, bone side down, in the center of the grill rack, 4 to 5 inches from the heat. Close grill lid. Immediately reduce heat to low (maintain a 275ºF to 300ºF grill temperature).
6. Grill ribs, turning ribs every 25 minutes. During the last 30 minutes of grill time, liberally baste both sides with BBQ Sauce.
7. Grill ribs for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until the ribs are fork tender and pork pulls away from the bone.
Ribs cooking tips:
Use long handled tongs and/or spatulas rather than a fork to turn ribs. If using a charcoal grill, add additional coals after 1 hour.