Crab and Avocado ‘Sandwiches’ with Mango Coulis
To celebrate Mardi Gras today, renowned chef Cat Cora gives us a perfect recipe with New Orleans flavor.
-Recipe courtesy of Cat Cora, catcoracooks.com
Cat Cora is a renowned chef, restaurateur, author and philanthropist. The latest initiative she’s heading up for her charity, Chefs For Humanity, is her 1 Million in 1 Month campaign (1million1month.org) to support relief efforts in Haiti.
Here, Cat gives us a great recipe to celebrate the kick-off of Mardi Gras today. With the abundant supply of crabs along the Gulf Coast, crab cakes have become a staple in New Orleans. In this version, the salsa and mango coulis give them a fun flair in honor of Mardi Gras.
Makes 4-6 Servings
Ingredients for Crab Cakes:
2 cups canola oil
½ pound Maine or Dungeness crabmeat
3 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons scallions, thinly slices
11/2 tablespoon red bell pepper, finely diced
¼ cup mayonnaise or aioli
1 tablespoon Tabasco
1 ¼ cup breadcrumbs
2 TBS cup lemon juice
1 ½ tablespoon Worcestershire
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 beaten egg
1. In a 10 inch sauté pan, heat 1 cup canola oil on high heat. Test readiness with a piece of bread. Turn heat to medium. Check temperature with thermometer it should read 375 degrees.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine crab, onion, scallions, bell pepper, mayonnaise, Tabasco, breadcrumbs, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Mix until fully incorporated.
3. Make 3 ounce cakes and dredge in the flour, then egg and the remaining breadcrumbs. Lay the cakes in the oil and pan fry for 5-6 minutes. Remove and place on a paper towel and season with salt in a mixing bowl.
Ingredients for Avocado Salsa:
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoons cilantro
2 tablespoon red onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to use.
Ingredients for Mango Coulis:
2 cups water
1 teaspoon confectioner sugar
1. In a blender combine ingredients and mix until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To serve: spoon puree onto a plate in a small pool. Slice the cake in half and lay the bottom portion in the puree. Spoon avocado on top and place the top of the cake on the avocado like a sandwich. Top with a small amount of avocado and garnish with cilantro leaf.
For more recipes like this one, check out our Recipe File.