Dave Lieberman’s Beet Mash Chocolate Cupcakes with Beet Frosting
If you’re looking to sneak more vegetables into your family’s diet, you can’t beet this chocolate cupcake recipe by celebrity chef Dave Lieberman.
-Recipe courtesy of Dave Lieberman and Del Monte
Although you won’t be able to tell that beets are even in this recipe, the result of mixing them in creates an extra moist cupcake that both adults and kids will love.
Makes 10-12 cupcakes
Ingredients for the cake:
One 14.5 oz. can Del Monte® Fresh Cut® Sliced Beets, drained
2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup warm water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the icing:
2 sticks unsalted butter
Approx. 1 can of Del Monte® Fresh Cut® Sliced Beets, drained
1 pound confectioners sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. In a small bowl, mash the drained can of beets finely with a potato masher and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, granulated sugar, oil, eggs, and water. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet. Fold in the mashed beets and mix well.
4. Pour the batter in greased cupcake tins. Bake about 15-20 minutes, until set but moist. (Or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean)
5. To make the icing: Mash the can of beets finely with a potato masher. Melt 1 stick of butter in a saucepan and add mashed beets. Simmer on very low heat for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cream the second stick of butter with a mixer in a bowl. Mix in the melted butter and beet mixture until fully incorporated. Gradually beat in the confectioners sugar.
6. Ice the cupcakes with a thick layer of icing.
Turn your beet cupcakes into beet flowers with this cute Dainty Daisy cupcake pan ($17.99, amazon.com).
For more dessert recipes, visit our Recipe File.
Photos courtesy of Bobby Marro Photography