Woman to Woman
Make Diana Prince Proud
Battle domestic violence with Wonder Woman!
Unfortunately, October is Domestic Violence Awareness month. I say unfortunately because wouldn’t it be nice to live in a world where women (and while men get battered, too, the overwhelming majority of victims are female) didn’t have to worry about getting the crap beat out of them? Here are some sobering statistics:
• 61 percent of female homicide victims were murdered by their spouse or male partner.
• In a worldwide study, 69 percent of women reported being physically injured by their spouse or domestic partner. Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of abused women don’t report it, which means the real figure is much higher.
• Female victims of violence are three times more likely to contract HIV than those who have not experienced abuse.
• One in four women reports having been sexually assaulted.
• Over one million women are stalked each year.
There are a bunch of different events happening around the country, but one of the most fun – yes, I said fun – events is Wonder Woman Day, which is taking place concurrently in Flemington, NJ, and Portland, OR, on October 26. There’s a silent auction of Wonder Woman art and other things, artist signings and door prizes. All the proceeds go to area shelters for battered women and a crisis line.
Maybe you’re thinking that this doesn’t apply to you because it has never happened to you, but one in three women in the U.S. hasn’t been so lucky – chances are you know someone who has been on the receiving end of a fist. And if you don’t know anyone personally, allow me to introduce myself. …