I Want White Jeans … But Does My Butt?
Five ways to make a tricky trend work for you
-Lois Joy Johnson
If you’ve been idling in any jeans department lately, you’ll have noticed stacks of white denim alongside the varying washes of blues. White jeans and I have been flirting for weeks now as I make eye contact, look away, look back and then grab them furtively under a pile of inky blues and head for the fitting room. The last time this happened I dragged the salesgirl in with me to get an unbiased opinion. Her comment: “Well, you’re going to be wearing something over them right — like a Tory Burch tunic?” As I gently inched her — okay, I shoved her — out the door, I realized the problem was not white jeans themselves but finding … the ONES!
White jeans are my fantasy. They’re Jackie O, Audrey H, shopping for jeweled sandals in St. Tropez; they’re me starring in a Michael Kors ad stepping off my private jet. I’ve always had a thing for white jeans, and now here they are in every weight, cut and fabric. I just had to actually buy them — and I did — but only after trying on about a hundred pairs.
Here are the five things I know for sure and the five perfect white jeans I found:
• Before you even try them on check the back of the jeans- if they have any rear décor like sequins, flap pockets, giant embroidered hearts or studs, toss ’em. The rear view in white jeans must be minimalist–clean with angled pockets to shape and lift. Best rear view: James Jeans Hector High-Rise Bootcut Jeans ($163, couturecandy.com).
• Look for heavier denim that is soft but stretchy to sculpt jiggles and cellulite smooth on the sides of your bum and thighs. Joe’s Jeans Muse High Waisted Jeans ($158, macys.com) mold and hold.
• Try on bootcuts or straight legs with higher platforms or wedges. They will make the experience painless and your legs will look long and model-y, not like the Pillsbury Doughboy’s. Best straight legs: Banana Republic High-Waisted White Straight jeans ($98, bananarepublic.com).
• Look for a pair of boyfriend jeans that have at least a 9″ rise and sit at the bottom of your waist but hug your hips, thighs and butt. You don’t want a sleazy low-rise in a relaxed fit style. Levi’s 501 Boyfriend Cut Jeans ($68, levi.com) are amazing worn rolled with heels or ballet flats
• Size does not matter. Cut out the size tag when you get them home. Every jeans brand bases sizing on its own fit model. A 27 from one brand probably will not be a 27 from another. And there will be variations of size within brands. Try on a lot. Cropped jeans lovers will adore Gap White Cropped Skinny Jeans ($59.50, gap.com) with their layered tees and gladiator sandals.