Flourless Chocolate Cake with Strawberries and Cream
Christmas and Hanukkah may be over, but we guarantee your craving for sweets isn’t.
-Courtesy of The Best of Relish Cookbook, relishmag.com
The addition of ground almonds provides a unique taste and texture to this rich, dense, flourless cake.
Makes 12 Servings
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons, sugar, divided
1 cup ground almonds
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
4 eggs, separated
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups whole strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray and cocoa; shake off excess cocoa.
2. Place butter in large bowl; beat until smooth. Add 1 cup sugar; beat until creamy. Add almonds, chocolate and egg yolks; beat thoroughly with a mixer at medium speed. Set aside.
3. Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form (do not over beat). Stir one-third of egg whites into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remaining egg whites.
4. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Cool 30 minutes in pan on wire rack. Release sides of pan and slide onto a serving plate.
5. Combine cream, vanilla and 2 tablespoons sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Top cake with whipping cream and strawberries.
Discover more great dessert recipes in our Recipe File.